Networking after having accepted a SA offer?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Networking after having accepted a SA offer?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:39 pm

1L here that will be going to a v100 firm this summer.

There are a few firms that I'm interested in applying to for 2L summer; is it commonplace for me to be reaching out to attorneys at those firms expressing interest/inquiring about opportunities/setting up coffee?

I like the people I've met at the firm I'm going to this summer though I am interested in the other firms and I am worried about word getting back to them that I'm shopping around.

gregfootball2001

Bronze

Re: Networking after having accepted a SA offer?

Postby gregfootball2001 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 3:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1L here that will be going to a v100 firm this summer.

There are a few firms that I'm interested in applying to for 2L summer; is it commonplace for me to be reaching out to attorneys at those firms expressing interest/inquiring about opportunities/setting up coffee?

I like the people I've met at the firm I'm going to this summer though I am interested in the other firms and I am worried about word getting back to them that I'm shopping around.

Always take the opportunity to meet new people if you can, for a few reasons. First, your firm will drop you like a hot potato if there's a sudden downturn. Next, you may hate your 1L firm. Last, even if you swear your undying love and devotion to your 1L firm, it's still a good idea to grow a network. Your firm isn't a jealous significant other - you're allowed to talk to other people.

Return to “Legal Employment�