.. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:35 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Re: Turning down a higher offer for a more prestigious firm?

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:50 pm

Go with the higher pay. I'm willing to bet neither of these firms is prestigious:

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:57 pm

Prestige doesn't matter in the abstract. If you provide some more context, you might actually get some helpful advice.

sparty99

Gold

Post by sparty99 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:25 pm

Yes, you are stupid if you don't go with the higher pay. You don't sound so prestigious if you only pay $70,000.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:30 pm

sparty99 wrote:Yes, you are stupid if you don't go with the higher pay. You don't sound so prestigious if you only pay $70,000.
Higher paying firm is insurance defense and US news tier 2. Bad reviews on Glassdoor e.g. Overworked and unpleasant partners

Lower paying firm is med mal defense and US news tier 1. They represent pretty much every major hospital in NY.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FullRamboLSGrad

New

Post by FullRamboLSGrad » Sat Apr 01, 2017 8:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
sparty99 wrote:Yes, you are stupid if you don't go with the higher pay. You don't sound so prestigious if you only pay $70,000.
Higher paying firm is insurance defense and US news tier 2. Bad reviews on Glassdoor e.g. Overworked and unpleasant partners

Lower paying firm is med mal defense and US news tier 1. They represent pretty much every major hospital in NY.
Neither practice area is prestigious.

Ask yourself do you want to manage a bunch of cases and make more money, or make less money, know less about the practice (since you don't mention anything beyond UNSWR), and possibly could have the same workload?

Is the med mal defense pursuant to insurance policies?

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Post by Abbie Doobie » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:17 pm

u can't put "prestige" in as a payment form for dem student loans

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:25 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

FullRamboLSGrad

New

Post by FullRamboLSGrad » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ok I retract the word prestigious. I understand the practice areas are seen here as near shitlaw. How can I get a better understanding of the respective firm's culture? I'm not chasing the money at 26 years old. I'm looking for a reputable place where I can grow as a litigator. My mind is telling me to go with the med mal firm because they really are well known in the metro area and in general I think med mal work will be more interesting than construction accidents.
Shit law is a bad term. It's substantive practice that gets your feet wet. Real shit law, if such a type exists, would be something like collections or family law. You'd be representing sophisticated entities.

Either way, if you want to med mal, do it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:36 pm

FullRamboLSGrad wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Ok I retract the word prestigious. I understand the practice areas are seen here as near shitlaw. How can I get a better understanding of the respective firm's culture? I'm not chasing the money at 26 years old. I'm looking for a reputable place where I can grow as a litigator. My mind is telling me to go with the med mal firm because they really are well known in the metro area and in general I think med mal work will be more interesting than construction accidents.
Shit law is a bad term. It's substantive practice that gets your feet wet. Real shit law, if such a type exists, would be something like collections or family law. You'd be representing sophisticated entities.

Either way, if you want to med mal, do it.

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:40 pm

Tough one. I'd probably take the med mal firm and think about going plaintiff side med mail eventually. I hear they can make bank.

Insurance defense seems tough to break out of and from what I hear usually leads to lower paying jobs, e.g. criminal law for the govt

Edit: you'd get better responses asking this on JDU. TLS knows virtually nothing about life as a lawyer in q firm outside of the amlaw 100

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:42 pm

ballouttacontrol wrote:Tough one. I'd probably take the med mal firm and think about going plaintiff side med mail eventually. I hear they can make bank.

Insurance defense seems tough to break out of and from what I hear usually leads to lower paying jobs, e.g. criminal law for the govt

Edit: you'd get better responses asking this on JDU. TLS knows virtually nothing about life as a lawyer in q firm outside of the amlaw 100

Thank you.

mvp99

Silver

Post by mvp99 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:57 pm

Med mal prac rep hospitals doctors is a good practice once youre establish. Easy and youll be amaze how many issues doctors run into simply because they have no idea how the law works.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:58 pm

I'd take the med mal firm, but not because it's more "prestigious."

Anonymous User

Re: ..

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:04 am

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”