Thoughts on: Federal Clerkship vs Intelligence Agency? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thoughts on: Federal Clerkship vs Intelligence Agency?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 01, 2017 9:27 am

Recently interviewed with a federal judge and with an intelligence agency. Obv the former would set me up for a litigation path - more so due to his mostly criminal docket - while the intelligence role would be more as an in house counsel with a mission-oriented focus, and non-lit, with the agency.

I have an interest with the judge because of the advantages clerkships provide, especially for AUSA routes, but the intelligence agency seems interesting and may provide an outlet to exit the law into a managerial capacity at the agency sometime down the line.

Which path to choose and why?

clerk1251

Bronze

Re: Thoughts on: Federal Clerkship vs Intelligence Agency?

Post by clerk1251 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 9:42 am

Anonymous User wrote:Recently interviewed with a federal judge and with an intelligence agency. Obv the former would set me up for a litigation path - more so due to his mostly criminal docket - while the intelligence role would be more as an in house counsel with a mission-oriented focus, and non-lit, with the agency.

I have an interest with the judge because of the advantages clerkships provide, especially for AUSA routes, but the intelligence agency seems interesting and may provide an outlet to exit the law into a managerial capacity at the agency sometime down the line.

This is a question you are going to have to answer for yourself. It's not really the type of question someone can choose for you.

You've identified what each one offers in terms of the experience and future job prospects. Figure out what you'd like to do with your career, and which one can help you accomplish that goal. Also, probably best to wait and see which, if any, gives you an offer.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:16 am

clerk1251 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Recently interviewed with a federal judge and with an intelligence agency. Obv the former would set me up for a litigation path - more so due to his mostly criminal docket - while the intelligence role would be more as an in house counsel with a mission-oriented focus, and non-lit, with the agency.

This is a question you are going to have to answer for yourself. It's not really the type of question someone can choose for you.

You've identified what each one offers in terms of the experience and future job prospects. Figure out what you'd like to do with your career, and which one can help you accomplish that goal. Also, probably best to wait and see which, if any, gives you an offer.
+1. It sounds like each job will put you on a different track, and you recognize that. After that, based on your descriptions, it's basically just whether you want to be a litigator or whether you're more likely to enjoy a more nonlegal gov managerial role. (I also assume that you've done some research about common outcomes from the intelligence agency position and there's nothing significant in the way of your chosen career path there.)

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:31 am

clerk1251 wrote:

+1

If your question is "Which one is more likely to get me _____," then someone can help you answer that. But none of us can tell you which career would be better for you; you have to figure out what you want and where you'd rather go. Especially when the choices are as different as these are.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:35 pm

FWIW - there are litigators at each of the intelligence agencies, but they are usually in a support role for other (DOJ, AUSA) attorneys, or doing more routine agency defense type work.

You could always clerk and then re-apply to the agencies if you are still interested. Without going into detail, I can tell you from personal experience that they value clerkships.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Mon Apr 03, 2017 5:46 pm

This is a decision for yourself.

The way I look at it, I would choose the intelligence agency (if you're interested in it). I am sure intelligence agencies value federal clerkships, but the problem is, when your clerkship is over - they might not be hiring. If you decide to work at the intelligence agency, and really don't like it, you could probably secure a clerkship in a fly-over. You also have the benefit of starting a lasting career if you choose the intelligence agency.

If your ambitions are feeder COAs/SCOTUS etc..., then I'd pick the clerkship.

Alive97

Bronze

Post by Alive97 » Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:04 pm

Last edited by Alive97 on Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:bump
Lol.

Are you really bumping this? Dude, no one can make this decision for you. Rather than bumping this, why not just flip a coin if you are that hard-pressed for someone else to make a decision for you about the future direction of your life.

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:23 am

clerk1251 wrote:
Lol.

Are you really bumping this? Dude, no one can make this decision for you. Rather than bumping this, why not just flip a coin if you are that hard-pressed for someone else to make a decision for you about the future direction of your life.
Standby, I'll even do it for you.

Heads - clerkship
Tails - intelligence

I'll post results as soon as I find a coin...

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:24 am

clerk1251 wrote:
clerk1251 wrote:
Lol.

Heads - clerkship
Tails - intelligence

Tails. Enjoy the intelligence agency! If you were hoping for a clerkship, let me know and we can try for best two out of three!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 07, 2017 11:26 am

I was hoping for different analyses from viewpoints other than my own on potential positives and negatives of the two very different paths.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:06 pm

clerk1251 wrote:
clerk1251 wrote:
clerk1251 wrote:
Lol.

Heads - clerkship
Tails - intelligence

Tails. Enjoy the intelligence agency! If you were hoping for a clerkship, let me know and we can try for best two out of three!
I got heads. I think OP should clerk.

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 12:55 pm

mjb447 wrote:
clerk1251 wrote:
clerk1251 wrote:
clerk1251 wrote:
Lol.

Heads - clerkship
Tails - intelligence

I got heads. I think OP should clerk.
I did it again and got heads also. OP, best 2 out of 3 says to clerk. Enjoy the judiciary!

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:03 pm

With this sort of decisiveness perhaps the intelligence community is not the best place for OP. Judiciary it is!

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:48 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:With this sort of decisiveness perhaps the intelligence community is not the best place for OP. Judiciary it is!
Ha, I was thinking the same thing. Except, on behalf of the judiciary, I'd rather he didn't join us.

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Fri Apr 07, 2017 2:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I was hoping for different analyses from viewpoints other than my own on potential positives and negatives of the two very different paths.
This is still incredibly vague. As with any choices, the pros and construction will depend on what you ultimately want. You need to decide what you want. You can then ask specific questions if you're wondering about some particular aspect of either position.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”