SA in foreign office

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

SA in foreign office

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 31, 2017 7:27 pm

I didn't think about this before I accepted my offer, so I didn't negotiate for an opportunity to spend a few weeks in one of my SA firm's foreign office.

With less than two months to the start of the summer program, is it worth sending an email to see if this would be a possibility? The firm doesn't typically offer this and I don't know of anyone else working abroad from my summer class, but I figured there's no harm in asking? Or is there?

Anonymous User

Re: SA in foreign office

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Apr 05, 2017 6:08 pm

bump

hangingtree

New

Postby hangingtree » Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:28 pm

Certainly no harm in asking, but it's surely too late for them to make the arrangements. Also, usually firms will say this is an opportunity at the outset, or offer it to you somehow in the interim, so if your firm has not yet then I doubt it would have even been possible. They're not going to create an opportunity like this for someone who is casually interested.

But yeah, no harm in asking. I know incoming SA's are extremely risk-conscious, and understandably so. But sending off a casual (but polite) email about opportunities abroad is not the sort of thing that will hurt you. In fact, provided you aren't weird about it, it will only help you as you'll start building rapport with HR/recruiting.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Apr 07, 2017 3:01 pm

hangingtree wrote:Certainly no harm in asking, but it's surely too late for them to make the arrangements. Also, usually firms will say this is an opportunity at the outset, or offer it to you somehow in the interim, so if your firm has not yet then I doubt it would have even been possible. They're not going to create an opportunity like this for someone who is casually interested.

But yeah, no harm in asking. I know incoming SA's are extremely risk-conscious, and understandably so. But sending off a casual (but polite) email about opportunities abroad is not the sort of thing that will hurt you. In fact, provided you aren't weird about it, it will only help you as you'll start building rapport with HR/recruiting.

this was so helpful! thanks a lot!

Return to “Legal Employment�