Professional Associations while an associate - yea or nay?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Professional Associations while an associate - yea or nay?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 29, 2017 2:51 pm

As an associate (let's say jr. to mid level), do partners like it if you join lots of professional associations? Is it universally considered a good thing? Or, are they only comfortable with having trusted associates join (and network at) these professional associations?

I work in a satellite office of a firm and my partner is trying hard to drum up business in the city. I'm wondering if he'll like that I'm joining lots of professional associations or think I'm just wasting my time. I'm too new to the city to actually be on any committees or organizing any events (I'm sure that would help if I get to that point, but not yet).

misterjames

Bronze

Re: Professional Associations while an associate - yea or nay?

Postby misterjames » Wed Mar 29, 2017 3:32 pm

Anonymous User wrote:As an associate (let's say jr. to mid level), do partners like it if you join lots of professional associations? Is it universally considered a good thing? Or, are they only comfortable with having trusted associates join (and network at) these professional associations?

I work in a satellite office of a firm and my partner is trying hard to drum up business in the city. I'm wondering if he'll like that I'm joining lots of professional associations or think I'm just wasting my time. I'm too new to the city to actually be on any committees or organizing any events (I'm sure that would help if I get to that point, but not yet).

I don't know why you would hinge this decision on what your firm or partner thinks, you should be joining these types of groups and building your own brand to the extent you can regardless. I would only concern yourself with what the partner thinks if you think they'll help you do that, like bringing you to their own associations and introducing you to folks. I don't think it's ever too early or unwise to get involved in organizations relevant to your practice area.

gregfootball2001

Bronze

Re: Professional Associations while an associate - yea or nay?

Postby gregfootball2001 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 5:52 pm

misterjames wrote: I don't think it's ever too early or unwise to get involved in organizations relevant to your practice area.

Completely agree. Much better to start meeting people and establishing a network early than to desperately try to drum up contacts years down the road.

Let me also say that you can also join volunteer organizations - though not immediately relevant to your practice area, they're extremely helpful for expanding your professional circle.

Return to “Legal Employment�