Seeking Advice about Career Transition

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
citizenrobert

New

Seeking Advice about Career Transition

Postby citizenrobert » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:46 pm

Hi folks, grateful for any advice you can offer:

I graduated from the University of Michigan Law School in 2012, and took a job a few months later at the Legal Services Corporation-funded civil legal aid organization serving my county. So, for the last four years, I've been doing landlord/tenant, Social Security, welfare, and other "legal aid" type cases. My current salary is $ 68,000.

At this point, for a number of personal and professional reasons, I want to move on. I'm not insisting on making the big bucks, but I have three goals:
(1) be in the private sector
(2) handle cases that are more complex and more interesting. practice areas that are of potential interest to me: special education, plaintiffs' personal injury, labor and employment
(3) not take a pay hit vis-à-vis my legal aid compensation, which isn't so bad considering the generous leave policy (17 vacation days, 5 'personal' days, decent amount of sick leave)

I'm in the New York City metro region, so jobs within the five boroughs are within my geographic neighborhood.

Despite sending out numerous applications over the past six months, I've been finding it very hard to get interest from employers. I'm just not getting any traction. Any advice?

Anonymous User

Re: Seeking Advice about Career Transition

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:24 pm

good luck

nunumaster

Silver

Postby nunumaster » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:good luck

Nice use of anon and color.

hous

Bronze

Postby hous » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:53 am

citizenrobert wrote:Hi folks, grateful for any advice you can offer:

I graduated from the University of Michigan Law School in 2012, and took a job a few months later at the Legal Services Corporation-funded civil legal aid organization serving my county. So, for the last four years, I've been doing landlord/tenant, Social Security, welfare, and other "legal aid" type cases. My current salary is $ 68,000.

At this point, for a number of personal and professional reasons, I want to move on. I'm not insisting on making the big bucks, but I have three goals:
(1) be in the private sector
(2) handle cases that are more complex and more interesting. practice areas that are of potential interest to me: special education, plaintiffs' personal injury, labor and employment
(3) not take a pay hit vis-à-vis my legal aid compensation, which isn't so bad considering the generous leave policy (17 vacation days, 5 'personal' days, decent amount of sick leave)

I'm in the New York City metro region, so jobs within the five boroughs are within my geographic neighborhood.

Despite sending out numerous applications over the past six months, I've been finding it very hard to get interest from employers. I'm just not getting any traction. Any advice?

2014 grad in Florida here from UF/FSU. Transitioned out of foreclosure law for construction law because I wanted to do something more complex and interesting. Sound familiar? I began looking to lateral out of my first firm 6 months after starting foreclosure and it took me almost 18 months to get out and I had to take a pay-cut (70k+ to 60k). There are just too many lawyers (good ones too) and too few jobs. Go to every interview you get even if you don't want the job because it will help you with your interview skills. I looked for job postings weekly and only had maybe an interview every 2 months. I went to about 12 interviews during the 18 months, 1 biglaw, 2 midlaw, 1 boutique (where i'm at), and 6 or 7 insurance defense. You just have to realize transitioning is generally a long process and it has nothing to do with you not being an attractive or qualified candidate. Employers just receive buckets of resumes and its not easy for them to decide either. Just keep applying and your relentlessness will ultimately pay off.

I'm very happy with my decision to lateral. I'm working on big cases and find the work much more interesting (6 months in). My experience is much more beneficial as well.

I found most of the jobs i applied to at Indeed or on local firm's websites. My schools Symplicity was a good resource as well. One thing I would change in my search was to beef up my cover letter.

citizenrobert

New

Postby citizenrobert » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:30 am

Thanks.

FSK

Platinum

Check out top-law-schools.com

Postby FSK » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:49 am

Check out top-law-schools.com

Return to “Legal Employment?