Which California biglaw has a good tech transaction practice?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Which California biglaw has a good tech transaction practice?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:27 pm

Any thoughts on trying for Fenwick NY (new office) and hoping to transfer to SV? I assume Fenwick NY will not come with great exits.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 11, 2017 5:09 pm

TTG associate in NorCal, so no sense of SoCal firms. In the Bay Area, Latham SV and MoFo SF for buy-side tech. WSGR, Fenwick, Gunderson for sell-side tech. Cooley SV and WSGR for life sciences transactions. S&C also does tech-side TTG work as a satellite. They all do a mix of tech and life sciences commercial work and the M&A support work just depends on what corporate brings in.

100% on great exit options, particularly if you're interested in working for a client, so you can't go wrong from a career perspective. Just choose the group you like the most culturally (or if you have to be in SF, hope for MoFo). WSGR does good work, but can be a big hit or miss on culture - anecdotally, I've only heard bad things about their tech-side TTG culture, but very positive on the life sciences transactions half.

How possible do you think it would be to lateral into tech trans as a junior corporate associate? I don't have any background in IP and didn't take any IP classes but have dabbled in a few tech trans assignments as a summer a couple years ago. Yes, pretty limited experience. Now, I'm a first/second year associate doing only corporate work. tech trans appeals to me more, though, but it's not a possibility at my firm. Is it possible to make the switch or is there anything I can currently do to make myself more marketable for tech trans somewhere else (like certain types of assignments I can try to get)? I currently work in the bay area.

sgd19

New

Postby sgd19 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:10 pm

So is there no way to get into tech transactions, if you don't meet the requirements of T14 school and top x%? Or is it just for biglaw?

If you are coming from a non-T14, can like 2-5 years of experience help you lateral into tech transactions practice?

Vincent Adultman

Silver

Postby Vincent Adultman » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:35 pm

sgd19 wrote:So is there no way to get into tech transactions, if you don't meet the requirements of T14 school and top x%? Or is it just for biglaw?

If you are coming from a non-T14, can like 2-5 years of experience help you lateral into tech transactions practice?

If you were M&A or general corporate I think you would have an ok shot at getting into tech trans with that much experience.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:48 pm

sgd19 wrote:So is there no way to get into tech transactions, if you don't meet the requirements of T14 school and top x%? Or is it just for biglaw?

I think it is possible to get into tech trans but it is difficult and requires some luck. I went to a T25 with top 15% grades. Worked regional biglaw for a few years. Was lucky enough to do enough tech trans and procurement work to lateral to a biglaw firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:08 am

Anonymous User wrote:TTG associate in NorCal, so no sense of SoCal firms. In the Bay Area, Latham SV and MoFo SF for buy-side tech. WSGR, Fenwick, Gunderson for sell-side tech. Cooley SV and WSGR for life sciences transactions. S&C also does tech-side TTG work as a satellite. They all do a mix of tech and life sciences commercial work and the M&A support work just depends on what corporate brings in.

100% on great exit options, particularly if you're interested in working for a client, so you can't go wrong from a career perspective. Just choose the group you like the most culturally (or if you have to be in SF, hope for MoFo). WSGR does good work, but can be a big hit or miss on culture - anecdotally, I've only heard bad things about their tech-side TTG culture, but very positive on the life sciences transactions half.

+1 to everything, esp on the WSGR Tech TTG culture. I have friends who work there. They have some very very difficult personalities.

Return to “Legal Employment�