Commuting to NYC from Stamford during biglaw? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Commuting to NYC from Stamford during biglaw?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:43 pm

Hi, I'm writing to see if anyone can speak to commuting from Stamford, CT to NYC while working in biglaw. It looks like it'll take me 1hr 10 min from the Stamford train station to my office. My office is only a 10 min walk from Grand Central or one subway stop away.

I'm considering this for personal reasons as my SO has to move to CT for his work, and Stamford is the closest doable location.

I don't go out much so social life issues aren't a huge concern. More concerned about whether or not this commute will really take the life out of me. I've just never had a commute this long before, so not sure what to think of it. I'd love any insight into this, and pros and cons would be great. Thanks!

1styearlateral

Silver

Re: Commuting to NYC from Stamford during biglaw?

Post by 1styearlateral » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:53 pm

It's totally doable if you don't mind spending 12 1/2 hours a week at minimum commuting.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 2:57 pm

Seems horrible and is exactly the reason im getting the hell out of the NYC market

OutCold

Bronze

Post by OutCold » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:10 pm

It is a personal decision, but I think it is a really poor idea to cede what little free time you will have in your life to a long commute. I don't think you can really understand how valuable those two hours might have been to your sanity until you are actually working. Hell, I lived twenty blocks from work and there were periods where I would only be home to sleep for several weeks on end. When things are tame it might be alright--the problem is when things are nuts, which is more often than you would think.

sunnyhopeful

New

Post by sunnyhopeful » Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:10 pm

If you have to work really late one night make sure to check train schedules! Wouldn't want to miss the last train...so maybe also confirm any car service they offer will go out to CT.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:20 pm

why is Bronx or north queens not an option. it's a manageable drive for your SO to CT and you would be close to a train line

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:32 pm

i had to do this commute for ~5 months (live in NYC, was working many days a week at a client site in Stamford). it destroyed me to the point where i made the firm pay for a hotel in Stamford from Mon-Thurs. Traffic is too intense in the morning to take a car and cars in the evening are close to an hour door to door. Metro North, while far superior to the LIRR, is still pretty awful (dont even try commuting on days where there is any snowfall). I cannot emphasize enough how awful of an idea this would be. Just get a job at a firm in CT if you feel the need to be in CT.

elendinel

Silver

Post by elendinel » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:44 pm

ruski wrote:why is Bronx or north queens not an option. it's a manageable drive for your SO to CT and you would be close to a train line
I second this, unless your firm pays for late night black car service out of state and you're planning to qualify for that every night. Having to rely on Metro North in an environment where people will frequently throw projects at you randomly and last-minute will not be fun for you.

Not to mention that even if you have no social life, you're going to want to do happy hours/etc. with your group if you want to develop relationships with them and be kept in the loop about things (socially and even work-wise).

almondjoy

Bronze

Post by almondjoy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:06 pm

A roughly 10 hour round trip flight each day seems a bit tough but I'm sure you could make it work

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:08 pm

almondjoy wrote:A roughly 10 hour round trip flight each day seems a bit tough but I'm sure you could make it work
Are you illiterate or just not funny?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:11 pm

Plenty of partners and senior associates do this kind of commute. (as do lots of professionals in other industries in NYC - if you have a family and want a house, long commutes are the norm.)

But I would try to avoid it as a junior associate.

almondjoy

Bronze

Post by almondjoy » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:11 pm

FascinatedWanderer wrote:
almondjoy wrote:A roughly 10 hour round trip flight each day seems a bit tough but I'm sure you could make it work
Not funny :|

FascinatedWanderer

Bronze

Post by FascinatedWanderer » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:14 pm

almondjoy wrote:
FascinatedWanderer wrote:
Not funny :|
I genuinely applaud your willingness to answer rhetorical questions though.

On the merits, commuting this far is a terrible idea in big law. It will destroy you.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:52 pm

I did the commute from Stamford to Midtown for my job prior to law school. It's definitely doable, but it does start to wear on you as time goes on. One thing I would recommend is to drive if you can. It can take you 45 minutes to get to Manhattan from Stamford if you drive (door to door), whereas Metro North takes about 55 minutes each way and then you have to walk to your office (also you are at the mercy of the train schedule, which can be a pain if you work late or want to hang out with friends after work).

I was thinking of doing the reverse commute after I graduate (living in the UES or Morningside Heights and commuting to my Stamford Biglaw gig). CT's social scene isn't great for people in their 20s and I'm sick of living in CT honestly. Maybe I'll come to regret it, I guess we'll find out.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:46 pm

It's very doable and the Metro-North is very reliable. Stamford is very boring though, and depending on which part of town you live in, kind of sketchy.

Do you have to live in Stamford? If your SO has a car and would be willing to drive to work, parts of Westchester could also be a good option.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”