List position on resume as fellowship or regular job?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

How should this position be referred to on resume/cover letter?

1. Refer to the position as a fellowship, and potentially have it overlooked as "just another one of the school funded fellowships"
50%
2. Make no mention of the fellowship, refer to myself as a normal employee, but it would look like I'm jumping ship after <1 year
50%

Total votes: 8

Anonymous User

List position on resume as fellowship or regular job?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:46 pm

I'm currently at an organization under a school-funded fellowship.
Under the program, we are considered full-time employees of the host organization.
I'm currently looking to apply elsewhere. On my resume/cover letter, should I make any mention of the fellowship or should I just refer to myself as a normal "employee/associate/clerk/etc." (assuming it would not be disingenuous)?

I know this is semantics but the reason I ask is because TLS consensus seems to be that school-funded fellowship positions are not worth much, if anything, and it has somewhat of a stigma attached.

Well, I was fortunate enough that the position I'm placed at is one which normally hires recent grads and is a "legitimate" position, so no one would bat an eye if I didn't mention the fellowship ("legitimate", in terms of how it's seen by law firms. It's not a nonprofit and previous employees have lateraled to in-house/biglaw before).

So I basically, which would be the better option?

1. Refer to the position as a fellowship, and potentially have it overlooked as "just another one of the school funded fellowships"
2. Make no mention of the fellowship, refer to myself as a full-time employee, but it would look like I'm jumping ship after <1 year.

Anonymous User

Re: List position on resume as fellowship or regular job?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:19 pm

How would you go about doing this without lying about your title? Unless, do you currently have a title that is identical to those of full time employees?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm currently at an organization under a school-funded fellowship.
Under the program, we are considered full-time employees of the host organization.
I'm currently looking to apply elsewhere. On my resume/cover letter, should I make any mention of the fellowship or should I just refer to myself as a normal "employee/associate/clerk/etc." (assuming it would not be disingenuous)?

I know this is semantics but the reason I ask is because TLS consensus seems to be that school-funded fellowship positions are not worth much, if anything, and it has somewhat of a stigma attached.

Well, I was fortunate enough that the position I'm placed at is one which normally hires recent grads and is a "legitimate" position, so no one would bat an eye if I didn't mention the fellowship ("legitimate", in terms of how it's seen by law firms. It's not a nonprofit and previous employees have lateraled to in-house/biglaw before).

So I basically, which would be the better option?

2. Make no mention of the fellowship, refer to myself as a full-time employee, but it would look like I'm jumping ship after <1 year.

A problem with option 2 is that if you do get a job offer, you'll very likely have to report your current income, and it could be very obvious that you're doing a school-funded fellowship when they see how much you're making now.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:00 pm

What is your actual title? Use whatever it is

sparty99

Gold

Postby sparty99 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:49 pm

I would list the position as a regular job as it is a regular job. in the title I would be title or "Attorney/Legal Fellow") or what have you. If they ask why you are leaving after one year, tell them in the INTERVIEW it is a fellowship and you have gained great experience and are now looking to leave for a permanent position.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Postby dixiecupdrinking » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:20 pm

sparty99 wrote:I would list the position as a regular job as it is a regular job. in the title I would be title or "Attorney/Legal Fellow") or what have you. If they ask why you are leaving after one year, tell them in the INTERVIEW it is a fellowship and you have gained great experience and are now looking to leave for a permanent position.

This is right.

If your job title doesn't make it clear you're a school funded fellow, you have no obligation to do so on your resume, and it would be silly.

elendinel

Silver

Postby elendinel » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:23 pm

What is your actual title? Use whatever it is

Return to “Legal Employment�