Still Haven't Secured a 1L Summer Job, Very Discouraged at this Point Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Still Haven't Secured a 1L Summer Job, Very Discouraged at this Point

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:25 pm

I knew my 1L grades were not the best but my career advisor seemed optimistic about my job chances. (I'm bilingual, minority candidate, and at a T-20)

However, as of today I still have not found a job. I went on an interview last week and I have one tomorrow but if those fall through :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: .

Any advice on what to do in my situation? I didn't imagine that my 1L summer would be like this

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Still Haven't Secured a 1L Summer Job, Very Discouraged at this Point

Post by rpupkin » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:34 pm

I understand why you're anxious and upset, but you should relax.

First, 1L Summer jobs are not that important. Also, with the exception of law firms that hire 1L SAs, first semester grades are generally not a significant factor for 1L summer employers. There's no reason for you to feel insecure or defensive about your grades during your job search.

I went to a "top" law school, and I had a bunch of friends who didn't have jobs at this point. Come to think of it, I don't think I landed my 1L summer job until early April.

Just keep your ears open and keep applying to things. You'll be fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:41 pm

What all are you applying for? Big firms, small firms?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:43 pm

Does your school do RA jobs for professors during the summer? This is probably a safe-ish job to fall back on if firms/government/judge don't bite for you.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Post by LaLiLuLeLo » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:09 pm

Apply to small firms. I also went to a T20, had top 15% grades, didn't get a job. Applied to small firms, landed a gig pretty late (April, I think) that was actually super awesome and paid $19/hr. It was just a small 2 attorney firm that ended up being very humane and netted good experience. That being said, I know small shops are a crapshoot. Don't let your classmates discourage you into thinking hope is lost because you didn't get an externship with a BK judge.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:20 pm

I had two friends from my T14 who didn't get summer internships till the beginning of summer vacation practically (or rather, around finals week). One got an in house gig at a major tech firm, the other got one with a federal agency. Post-grad, they were both working in biglaw.

It can feel very discouraging now but as long as you keep doing what you should be doing things will end up okay. Try to ignore your peers right now and keep your chin up.

Also, not sure if this is relevant to your job search but since you brought it up, I'm a minority, as are the friends I mentioned above. I think I got my 1L summer internship in March after spring break, too.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:40 pm

Doesn't your school have some sort of clinic that takes a bunch of people over the summer? I thought that was typical at schools. Just apply there and they'll take you.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:39 am

Anonymous User wrote:Doesn't your school have some sort of clinic that takes a bunch of people over the summer? I thought that was typical at schools. Just apply there and they'll take you.

Easterbork

Bronze

Post by Easterbork » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:47 am

Now is when you get freaked out and start really applying. I was in your position and had two offers a couple weeks from now. I ended up with a ridiculously good paid in house job. Just apply to everything. In fairness to you I think where you are at now was the singular most stressful part of law school for me

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:06 am

Easterbork wrote:Now is when you get freaked out and start really applying. I was in your position and had two offers a couple weeks from now. I ended up with a ridiculously good paid in house job. Just apply to everything. In fairness to you I think where you are at now was the singular most stressful part of law school for me
This. Stay positive and consider to reaching out to your CDO. I got a job early on my 1L year, but some people who waited got some really good stuff (better than mine).

anon3030

New

Post by anon3030 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:50 am

You will be fine. I know many people who did not secure something until late April. A few of them worked for federal district judges; if you have not started applying to intern with all of your local judges, I would do so. It is not paid, but a great thing to have on your resume during OCI.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”