I hate family members. Anyone else? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
barexaminerssuck27

New

I hate family members. Anyone else?

Post by barexaminerssuck27 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:20 am

Any one else have family members who think it's all easy? As in, it's easy to get employment, pass the bar, open up your law firm, etc.

They sit there and judge you. They keep saying "it's easy. All you have to do is read books to open up your law firm!" or "The bar is so easy to pass." But the funny thing is, they are very same people who didn't go to grad school or even take the damn bar!

Any one else in the same boat?

Minnietron

Silver

Re: I hate family members. Anyone else?

Post by Minnietron » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:36 am

barexaminerssuck27 wrote:Any one else have family members who think it's all easy? As in, it's easy to get employment, pass the bar, open up your law firm, etc.

They sit there and judge you. They keep saying "it's easy. All you have to do is read books to open up your law firm!" or "The bar is so easy to pass." But the funny thing is, they are very same people who didn't go to grad school or even take the damn bar!

Boomers, amirite?!
Last edited by Minnietron on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:57 am

Based on this one anecdote, yes, I also hate your family members.

Bluem_11

Bronze

Post by Bluem_11 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:20 am

I like my family.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:42 am

Yea boomers are the worst

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:23 am

barexaminerssuck27 wrote:Any one else have family members who think it's all easy? As in, it's easy to get employment, pass the bar, open up your law firm, etc.

Do these people also think you can build a string clientele/ book of business through Avvo.com?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:26 am

kellyfrost wrote:

Do these people also think you can build a string clientele/ book of business through Avvo.com?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

barexaminerssuck27

New

Post by barexaminerssuck27 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:27 am

kellyfrost wrote:

Yup. The very same people who goes "I don't get it. Why can't you pass the CA bar after spending 3 years in law school? You should pass on the first try"

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:20 am

ballouttacontrol wrote:Yea boomers are the worst
To be fair, all the 0Ls here think the same thing.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:52 am

Npret wrote:
Blatant anti-0L trolling

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:35 am

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
Npret wrote:
Blatant anti-0L trolling
You know it's true. 0Ls have the same beliefs about law as boomers. (I'm guessing so did OP.)

Still, good luck OP. Stay positive and ignore idiots who want to bring you down.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:58 am

I was hoping this was going to be a thread about doc review.

TLSModBot

Diamond

Post by TLSModBot » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:01 am

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:I was hoping this was going to be a thread about doc review.
:lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

los blancos

Platinum

Post by los blancos » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:53 am

Capitol_Idea wrote:
Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:I was hoping this was going to be a thread about doc review.
:lol:

malibustacy

Bronze

Post by malibustacy » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:14 pm

barexaminerssuck27 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

Yup. The very same people who goes "I don't get it. Why can't you pass the CA bar after spending 3 years in law school? You should pass on the first try"
Well... shouldn't you?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:32 pm

malibustacy wrote:
barexaminerssuck27 wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

Well... shouldn't you?
Sure, but I don't want my family telling me that!

Leprechaun

Bronze

Post by Leprechaun » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:00 pm

Many of our family and friends probably know little about the bar or about opening a firm, but they know a lot about us. They were excited for us when we did well as an undergrad, cheered when we were admitted to law school, and celebrated our graduations. They know we have a history of succeeding at efforts important to us They believe in us. They are confident that we will do what it takes to win. I'm glad my family and friends are here for me to lean on, even if they don't quite understand. I'll take the petty annoyances in exchange for their love and belief in me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:05 pm

Leprechaun wrote: Many of our family and friends probably know little about the bar or about opening a firm, but they know a lot about us. They were excited for us when we did well as an undergrad, cheered when we were admitted to law school, and celebrated our graduations. They know we have a history of succeeding at efforts important to us They believe in us. They are confident that we will do what it takes to win. I'm glad my family and friends are here for me to lean on, even if they don't quite understand. I'll take the petty annoyances in exchange for their love and belief in me.
This!

During my time as a student, like many students, I had a very hard time finding a job. My good friends and family, who didn't really understand the market, were always there reassuring me and telling me I'd find work.

Was it a baseless compliment? Maybe, maybe not. But I'd rather the love and encouragement than them saying the worst case scenarios, which I was considering day and night. I found a job. Maybe they were right.

barexaminerssuck27

New

Post by barexaminerssuck27 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 11:03 pm

Leprechaun wrote:

Many of our family and friends probably know little about the bar or about opening a firm, but they know a lot about us. They were excited for us when we did well as an undergrad, cheered when we were admitted to law school, and celebrated our graduations. They know we have a history of succeeding at efforts important to us They believe in us. They are confident that we will do what it takes to win. I'm glad my family and friends are here for me to lean on, even if they don't quite understand. I'll take the petty annoyances in exchange for their love and belief in me.
I am Asian and the oldest niece. It does make things worse. My extended family thinks everyone should become doctors and lawyers. My aunts and uncles have decided the fate for each of their children. One is to become a doctor, one is to become a lawyer, one is to become an engineer. Those poor children are only in 5th or 6th grade so they do not know any better but just agree with them.

The sad part they do not see is the STRUGGLE of how hard it is to become what they wish. The acceptance rate, the employment rate, and overall the SUCCESS rate. They will just say things like "It's America. I don't see why you cannot succeed to become a doctor/lawyer." I get it. They work hard. But they do not see while other people are on different career path, you are stuck in law school for the next THREE years. Of course, it's a tough road, but it does not meant you are a damn bum. It just take time.

Thank you for the vent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:22 am

What I hate most about family/close-family friend interactions is the following situation that has occurred literally 25+ times:

Hows school? Is it hard? Do you read all day long? Is it just criminal law you study? Do you have to get up in front of the class and present? Whats your favorite subject? How are the professors? It must be so hard, you are so brave! What classes are you taking? How many years is it?

I've been asked this so many times that I now give one-word answers with utter apathy. There's just something about being asked about school that triggers me for some reason. [Probably because I hate talking about myself and because school is so less interesting than what people think]

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:27 am

I have similar situations when people say stuff like that (e.g., unemployed undergrad lib arts major telling me law is a bad career b/c computers will put me out of a job). When this happens, I try to just agree rather than get mad and expend any energy at all to giving them a real answer (my answer: you're probably right!). It's a waste of time. I think realizing the fact that you know your situation/field way better than them will allow you to distance yourself in the sense of not letting it get to you.

jhett

Bronze

Post by jhett » Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:10 am

barexaminerssuck27 wrote:I am Asian and the oldest niece. It does make things worse. My extended family thinks everyone should become doctors and lawyers. My aunts and uncles have decided the fate for each of their children. One is to become a doctor, one is to become a lawyer, one is to become an engineer. Those poor children are only in 5th or 6th grade so they do not know any better but just agree with them.

The sad part they do not see is the STRUGGLE of how hard it is to become what they wish. The acceptance rate, the employment rate, and overall the SUCCESS rate. They will just say things like "It's America. I don't see why you cannot succeed to become a doctor/lawyer." I get it. They work hard. But they do not see while other people are on different career path, you are stuck in law school for the next THREE years. Of course, it's a tough road, but it does not meant you are a damn bum. It just take time.

Thank you for the vent.
My wife and I joke with our white friends that we've love to be adopted by their parents because they are so much more supportive and non-judgmental when it comes to our careers and lives.

#tigerparentproblems

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”