Employment at will - no breach of K?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Employment at will - no breach of K?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:38 pm

I haven't taken employment law classes in law school..

So if I sign an at-will employment agreement (e.g. an agreement does not state that an asso can be terminated only for cause), can the law firm fire associates without cause during the contract period without having a breach of contract issues?

I am confused about whether an associate can successfully bring a breach of K suit against an employer when the employment agreement is an "at will employment." I am not bringing any lawsuits, but just want to understand how I should negotiate things with my interviewing firms.

Anonymous User

Re: Employment at will - no breach of K?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:41 pm

to my understanding, if you are at-will, employer can let you go for no reason at all, as long as its not discriminatory. That's the whole point of being at -will

The fact its an associate at a law firm woulnd't change anything. It's same as a regular employee at a retail store. They can let you go for no-cause.

As for negotiating, you could negotiate a larger severance package in the event they did let you go.

(FYI, 2L, going off my own research of employment law)

Monochromatic Oeuvre

Re: Employment at will - no breach of K?

Postby Monochromatic Oeuvre » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:23 pm

When you first saw the phrase "at-will employment," what did that mean to you?

Return to “Legal Employment”