OK to mass-mail to multiple partners in multiple offices?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OK to mass-mail to multiple partners in multiple offices?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2017 12:12 am

All big cities.. I am just scared that those partners'd forward my resume (with a different mailing address) to the same recruiting coordinator....

What do you think?

Anonymous User

Re: OK to mass-mail to multiple partners in multiple offices?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:41 pm

I think it could backfire with the diff. mailing addresses.

ballouttacontrol

Postby ballouttacontrol » Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:30 am

Varies by firm. I'm general you probably shouldn't.

Genius

Postby Genius » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:52 pm

DONT DO THIS. THEY FORWARD ALL EMPLOYMENT INQURIES TO HR (most anyway). HR WILL GET 3-4 EMAILS FROM DIFFERENT PARTNERS AND YOU WILL BE BLACKLISTED. SOMEONE DID THIS TO MY FIRM AND PARTNERS CC'D EACH OTHER.

But you can send to 1 or 2 alum partners in your desired practice area. Just dont be neurotic and desperate.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:02 pm

Genius wrote:DONT DO THIS. THEY FORWARD ALL EMPLOYMENT INQURIES TO HR (most anyway). HR WILL GET 3-4 EMAILS FROM DIFFERENT PARTNERS AND YOU WILL BE BLACKLISTED. SOMEONE DID THIS TO MY FIRM AND PARTNERS CC'D EACH OTHER.

But you can send to 1 or 2 alum partners in your desired practice area. Just dont be neurotic and desperate.

Not OP but do firms really blacklist for applying too much?

I've taken TLS's advice and have been mass mailing since 2L year. I'm a 2016 grad.

This means, I've applied for every 1L/2L position in every city I was willing to work.
3L year I cut back and only applied to 1-2 cities.
As a graduate/lateral I'm only applying to one city.
Yay, I did good right? Mass mailed like a champ?

Well... now, I almost feel like I shouldn't be applying to any firms unless I have a legitimate shot at them.

For example, I see an open posting for Firm X which is looking for 1 year experience (I have ~6 months). Conventional TLS wisdom says "apply" anyway but the fact that I have 2-5 rejections already from each firm (1L year, 2L year, 3L year) makes me hesitant.

Genius

Postby Genius » Mon Mar 20, 2017 8:06 pm

Yes some firms blacklist candidates that spam egregiously. At my firm some dude literally emailed every partner in one practice group of like 12 partners. One of them took notice and not in a good way. You might think that mming to lots of partner at a firm increases your chance to get noticed positively by a partner, but it is equally likely that someone who was having a bad or or is generally shitty (majority of lawyers/partners) will be annoyed by you.

Like I said, nothing wrong w MM. Just do it to ppl who might matter, like your alum.

Return to “Legal Employment”