Struck out of big law, will staff position do it? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Struck out of big law, will staff position do it?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:13 pm

So, struck out of OCI big law last year. I am at a regional T1. I saw that some big law firms are hiring full-time paralegals at the moment. My question is, are there any success stories of people taking on such positions, such as paralegals... and then eventually going on to be hired by such firms after graduation, as first year associates?

I spoke to one of my friends, and he believes this is not the way to go. However, he says it may work.

So if I was to work as a 2L (this semester and the rest of 3L year) at one of these big law firms as a paralegal, what are the chances of them making me an offer after 3L if I work hard and show commitment? Is this a good entrance into big law? A few of my other friends are actually working in big law as paralegals now as well, with the intention of being hired after graduation; however, most are 1Ls.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: Struck out of big law, will staff position do it?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:23 pm

I'm a little confused, because don't they want full time paralegals? Not part-time during the school year or just for the summer?

In any event, it's hard to imagine this working. It's one thing for paralegals to work for a firm out of college, go to law school, and come back as an associate. But I've never heard of someone being hired as a paralegal with a law degree and then "transitioned" to being an associate. Just the internal firm mechanics of that would be awkward at best. Same for staff attorneys.

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Post by iliketurtles123 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:09 pm

Ive heard of it happening for staff attorneys for biglaw. Same for paralegals but for nonbiglaw though.

Not sure how common it is but definitely more of the exception than the rule

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a little confused, because don't they want full time paralegals? Not part-time during the school year or just for the summer?

In any event, it's hard to imagine this working. It's one thing for paralegals to work for a firm out of college, go to law school, and come back as an associate. But I've never heard of someone being hired as a paralegal with a law degree and then "transitioned" to being an associate. Just the internal firm mechanics of that would be awkward at best. Same for staff attorneys.
I think it depends on what the staff attorney's role is. Different firms use staff attorneys for widely different purposes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:11 pm

OP here, yes, sorry for the confusion. It is a full-time paralegal job while in law school.

They will/are working full-time while in law school. Yes, I also think it is very likely unheard of.

Also, they are not working as a paralegal first after graduation and then hoping to transition to a first- year associate, as the first anon poster replied. Rather they are working full-time as a paralegal while in law school, with the hopes of being hired as a first-year associate upon graduation because they struck out of oci and see this as a means of getting a first-year associate position at big law.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Mar 15, 2017 4:23 pm

If it pays well and isn't that much of time suck away from school I guess go for it. Although I would recommend doing it 3L year and focusing on trying to work somewhere this 2L summer that can give you an associate position.

Because it is almost certain that a big law firm will not have you go from paralegal to associate. As someone said, it does happen with staff attorneys, but even that is pretty rare in big law

EncyclopediaOrange

Bronze

Post by EncyclopediaOrange » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:52 pm

This worked for Rachel Zane. And I think PSL is V5 now.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:42 am

You would be better off doing almost any legal job or internship than being a paralegal (as far as chances of getting a full time attorney job out of it... If you need the money, that's didferent). I think the path you are considering is nearly unheard of. Maybe in some extremely unusual circumstance it's happened before, but the thing about extremely unusual circumstances is you shouldn't count on them.

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:07 am

No. Do not do this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

landshoes

Silver

Post by landshoes » Thu Mar 16, 2017 8:49 am

Don't ABA rules keep you from working full-time in 3L?

1styearlateral

Silver

Post by 1styearlateral » Thu Mar 16, 2017 10:27 am

Anecdotally, I've asked about staff positions at NYC biglaw and the consensus was that, once you go staff attorney, you're forever stained as such. The pay isn't as much as an associate; however, the gig isn't that bad. Lower billable requirement, which probably means less office-time. Not that much of a chance to make partner anyway.

I would imagine, though, that if you absolutely KILLED it as a staff attorney and was well-liked by practice area partners, you could probably get moved up to the associate ranks. IMO, for someone who is already an associate, it is a risky move to pursue such options, but may be necessary for some who absolutely need to work in a biglaw office.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:08 am

1styearlateral wrote:Anecdotally, I've asked about staff positions at NYC biglaw and the consensus was that, once you go staff attorney, you're forever stained as such. The pay isn't as much as an associate; however, the gig isn't that bad. Lower billable requirement, which probably means less office-time. Not that much of a chance to make partner anyway.

I would imagine, though, that if you absolutely KILLED it as a staff attorney and was well-liked by practice area partners, you could probably get moved up to the associate ranks. IMO, for someone who is already an associate, it is a risky move to pursue such options, but may be necessary for some who absolutely need to work in a biglaw office.
The only ones I know of that went from staff attorney to associate had really good connections and had already done very good work. I know more people that went from small firms as associates to big law staff attorneys. They really only did this because the pay was better. It is not nearly as uniform as associate pay scale, but I think most first year staff attorneys start around $90k and they get bonuses and maybe even OT. So not a terrible gig at all, but generally not room for advancement.

For OP though, as a 2L, staff attorney should be something they look at as a last resort late 3L year and definitely not as a paralegal yet.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:20 am

1styearlateral wrote:Anecdotally, I've asked about staff positions at NYC biglaw and the consensus was that, once you go staff attorney, you're forever stained as such. The pay isn't as much as an associate; however, the gig isn't that bad. Lower billable requirement, which probably means less office-time. Not that much of a chance to make partner anyway.

I agree, but OP, this would be hard as a staff attorney - it's going to be completely unrealistic as a paralegal.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

deadpanic

Silver

Post by deadpanic » Thu Mar 16, 2017 11:54 am

I am confused. I am not sure how you can work full-time and take a full load of classes. You just tell one of the lawyers, "No, I can't do it now, gotta run to crim pro class for the next 2 hours," and they are like, "Oh, that's cool." If it is a true BigLaw firm, I cannot fathom that they would not rather have a paralegal (that is truly full time) with experience and no law degree rather than a law student. It just seems really strange. And as another poster pointed out, I am pretty sure the ABA prohibits this practice anyways, so not sure why a reputable firm would do this.

No offense, but it sounds like you are borderline obsessed about being with a BigLaw firm. I think if you go this route, you are going to be sorely disappointed and unemployed (or at least, not practicing law), but it is your gamble to take.

People are already telling you that it is extremely difficult to go as a staff attorney to an associate. This is for a paralegal gig to an associate. Those odds are not good at all. You would be better off targeting smaller law firms or government work. A regional T1 doesn't give anyone a very good shot at BigLaw even if you had good grades. The more likely scenario is that they will already hire an associate from a higher school with better grades (or at least someone from your class year with better grades), and they will continue that trend in the future because that is the BigLaw hiring system. Best of luck.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Mar 16, 2017 12:30 pm

What biglaw firms hires a full time law student as a paralegal?

You would be better off focusing on getting your career going.

I know of one or two paralegals that worked at the firm before law school that came back as summers, but I haven't heard of the other.

ookoshi

Bronze

Post by ookoshi » Thu Mar 16, 2017 3:42 pm

Just an FYI, the ABA no longer has a rule prohibiting full-time employment for full-time JD students. This changed in 2014.

http://tippingthescales.com/2014/08/law ... ed-by-aba/
http://gingerlibrarian.blogspot.com/201 ... limit.html

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Thu Mar 16, 2017 5:30 pm

They're not even going to hire you as a paralegal in the first place when you're a law student, so it's dumb to even apply for that position. You're basically going to look really desperate applying for a paralegal position as a law student, and that's going to make it very difficult to get interviews for associate positions going forward. I'm not at a big firm, but we had a few attorneys apply for a paralegal position at my office, and they just looked dumb and obviously didn't get interviews (like people in the office talked/laughed about them applying for a paralegal position as a lawyer). I feel as though if they now re-apply for an actual attorney position, it's likely that they also won't get interviews if any of the decision makers remember that they applied as a paralegal. I've heard biglaw firms keep a record of everything you've ever submitted to them in terms of applications, job inquires, etc., so it would be a lot easier for people on the hiring committee of a firm to see that you were so desperate for any job that you applied for a paralegal position at the firm, which I imagine would be a massive red mark. You should really reconsider this idea and apply to jobs that will actual further your legal career (as oppose to detrimenting it---no lawyer at any organization is going to be impressed by the skills you acquired as a paralegal while in law school).

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”