Minneapolis Firm Culture

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Minneapolis Firm Culture

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 11:37 am

Making a lateral move to Minneapolis later this year due to relocation for wife's job. Her salary gives me the luxury of focusing on QOL and culture factors rather than purely $$$ (though from research it seems pay is pretty much a $120K scale across all the ten or so largest firms) or prestige. Seems like there have been a few mergers in the last five years or so, some within the Midwest and some national firms.

Can anyone in the market comment on where mid-levels seem to be happiest and have the best overall lives? Which mergers have been viewed favorably vs disfavorably? Any firms to view with caution in terms of financial stability, transparency/openness, overall culture, or partnership potential?

Anonymous User

Re: Minneapolis Firm Culture

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:13 pm

What area of law do you work in

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:37 pm

I've worked in a few different transactional groups but would probably want to focus on real estate since that's a sector that seems to be thriving. Specific insight on which firms are strongest in which non-litigation practices is appreciated, as well any as general commentary on overall culture at the firms that aren't limited to litigation.

Fireworks2016

New

Postby Fireworks2016 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 3:13 pm

I'm only a 3L, so this is all hearsay but:

Dorsey -- Maybe the preeminent transactional sweatshop in Minneapolis. Nobody in other firms have good things to say about the place from what I've experienced.

Faegre -- I don't know much about their transactional practice, but their litigators are top-notch, unbelievably good.

Fox Rothschild (formerly Oppenheimer Wolf, Donnelly): Their mid-level associates seem reasonably happy, and things seem to have steadied since the merger. They also recently picked up a prominent "entertainment lawyer" in town. They pick off a lot of laterals from around town.

Fabyanske -- Really good niche real estate/construction shop. They tend to be less formal than most other places that pay market.

Lindquist -- They've been rumored as merger partners with half a dozen other firms, not sure how solid their financials are right now. They have a really great reputation for work/life balance though.

Gray Plant: Another good work/life balanace firm

Winthrop -- Kind of a weird firm. There seem to be more political squabbles and drama/gossip than comparable firms. They do interesting and fairly desirable work though, esp. on the transactional side.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:44 pm

Thanks, Fireworks! Do you have any impressions of Stinson, Briggs, Fredrikson, etc?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:00 pm

Fireworks2016 wrote:I'm only a 3L, so this is all hearsay but:

Dorsey -- Maybe the preeminent transactional sweatshop in Minneapolis. Nobody in other firms have good things to say about the place from what I've experienced.

Faegre -- I don't know much about their transactional practice, but their litigators are top-notch, unbelievably good.

Fox Rothschild (formerly Oppenheimer Wolf, Donnelly): Their mid-level associates seem reasonably happy, and things seem to have steadied since the merger. They also recently picked up a prominent "entertainment lawyer" in town. They pick off a lot of laterals from around town.

Fabyanske -- Really good niche real estate/construction shop. They tend to be less formal than most other places that pay market.

Lindquist -- They've been rumored as merger partners with half a dozen other firms, not sure how solid their financials are right now. They have a really great reputation for work/life balance though.

Gray Plant: Another good work/life balanace firm

Winthrop -- Kind of a weird firm. There seem to be more political squabbles and drama/gossip than comparable firms. They do interesting and fairly desirable work though, esp. on the transactional side.

I mostly agree with this, but would add:

I don't think Dorsey is quite as miserable as you make it out to be, and they do have smart lawyers and a good reputation. They do seem to be struggling to grow, so I'd press them on long term health if you are actually interviewing there and want a long term career at a firm.

Faegre is also the top transactional firm in town, in addition to the great litigators you mention. Part of being at that level means it is a little more demanding than some other options (but, given this market, unfortunately without a corresponding increase in compensation while you are an associate). It still should be very high on your list.

Fox is a good place, but I would not say they are a big lateral destination.

I'd be a little cautious about Lindquist for the reasons noted, although they say they are doing fine.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I've worked in a few different transactional groups but would probably want to focus on real estate since that's a sector that seems to be thriving. Specific insight on which firms are strongest in which non-litigation practices is appreciated, as well any as general commentary on overall culture at the firms that aren't limited to litigation.

I believe Dorsey and some other forms recently had real estate positions open near your level. You may want to start putting out feelers quickly as they may be nearing filling them.

Return to “Legal Employment�