Less Sweat Shoppy NY Firms?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Less Sweat Shoppy NY Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:51 am

Could we get a running list of firms in NYC that are on the better end of associate quality of life (to the extent that this is generalizable)? I get that NY biglaw is miserable, but it seems pretty clear that some (e.g., Skadden) are worse than others (e.g., Patterson Belknap).

I would also be interested to hear how particular practice areas/specializations factor in.

Anonymous User

Re: Less Sweat Shoppy NY Firms?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 12:02 pm

I have a friend at Buckley Sander and have heard great things (slightly lower comp, but lower billables and good substantive experience). Also heard good things about Hughes Hubbard but I have no idea how much you can safely extrapolate from anecdotes.

Like you said, this is often going to depend highly on practice group within a firm -- and beyond that, what partner(s) you end up working with on a regular basis. My general sense is that transactional work is a lot more unpredictable (droughts and floods) than litigation.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have a friend at Buckley Sander and have heard great things (slightly lower comp, but lower billables and good substantive experience). Also heard good things about Hughes Hubbard but I have no idea how much you can safely extrapolate from anecdotes.

Like you said, this is often going to depend highly on practice group within a firm -- and beyond that, what partner(s) you end up working with on a regular basis. My general sense is that transactional work is a lot more unpredictable (droughts and floods) than litigation.

Stroock (dependent on practice group though- Not bankruptcy)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:04 pm

Not Brown Rudnick lol

Return to “Legal Employment�