Words of Wisdom / Encouragement

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Words of Wisdom / Encouragement

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:54 pm

In the office all weekend yet again. Current NYC 4th year v10 in corporate/funds. Lateraled from a peer firm almost a year ago. Really dying and want out of biglaw ASAP.

Is it reasonable to think that if I start hustling I could find an in-house gig in NYC or something quasi legal within the next few months? I'm definitely willing to take a (big) pay cut, I just want my life back and I want to feel happy again. Honestly just looking for some words of affirmation that this could be possible, because I'm feeling really shitty lately.

Also Disclaimer: Sorry if this sounds like I'm just bitching and moaning. I know a lot of people would kill to be in my shoes, or employed at all, and I should probably just suck it up. I know I should be grateful. Just mentally in a bad place lately, thought some camaraderie with others in similar situations might help.

Npret

Silver

Re: Words of Wisdom / Encouragement

Postby Npret » Sun Mar 12, 2017 4:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:In the office all weekend yet again. Current NYC 4th year v10 in corporate/funds. Lateraled from a peer firm almost a year ago. Really dying and want out of biglaw ASAP.

Is it reasonable to think that if I start hustling I could find an in-house gig in NYC or something quasi legal within the next few months? I'm definitely willing to take a (big) pay cut, I just want my life back and I want to feel happy again. Honestly just looking for some words of affirmation that this could be possible, because I'm feeling really shitty lately.

Also Disclaimer: Sorry if this sounds like I'm just bitching and moaning. I know a lot of people would kill to be in my shoes, or employed at all, and I should probably just suck it up. I know I should be grateful. Just mentally in a bad place lately, thought some camaraderie with others in similar situations might help.

Yes it's possible. Just carve out time to look. Schedul a few "dentist appointments."

You don't have to apologize. Just because someone outside your life might think you have it made, only you know how you feel. Do what's best for you. Just don't get so down that it affects your work.

Pokemon

Gold

Postby Pokemon » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:00 pm

Same position as you op. Third weekend in a row in office, all nighter on Friday and work does not seem to ease up. Tomorrow should also be hectic.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:55 pm

One thing that is helping me get through is that I lowered by monthly debt payments as much as possible by refinancing and now I save something like 4-5K each month. Building up a huge cash nest egg that I can use in case one day I just can't take this anymore. It's helped a lot mentally knowing I can probably walk away and not work for a year and still be able to live pretty well.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 12, 2017 5:56 pm

deleted

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Mar 12, 2017 7:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:One thing that is helping me get through is that I lowered by monthly debt payments as much as possible by refinancing and now I save something like 4-5K each month. Building up a huge cash nest egg that I can use in case one day I just can't take this anymore. It's helped a lot mentally knowing I can probably walk away and not work for a year and still be able to live pretty well.

OP here. Doing this too actually (except I couldn't save that much a month, that is really impressive - NYC generally sucks on that front). Finished paying off loans (didn't have many, went to regional school that gave me $$) so I'm in a good financial position to walk away.

I think what worries me most is that there is sometimes a consensus that a more "lifestyle" friendly legal job just doesn't exist, even in-house. And for those that do exist, the competition is insane. I'm OK with working long hours, I just need more of a rigid schedule and I need my weekends back/to be reliable.

AVBucks4239

Silver

Postby AVBucks4239 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:One thing that is helping me get through is that I lowered by monthly debt payments as much as possible by refinancing and now I save something like 4-5K each month. Building up a huge cash nest egg that I can use in case one day I just can't take this anymore. It's helped a lot mentally knowing I can probably walk away and not work for a year and still be able to live pretty well.

OP here. Doing this too actually (except I couldn't save that much a month, that is really impressive - NYC generally sucks on that front). Finished paying off loans (didn't have many, went to regional school that gave me $$) so I'm in a good financial position to walk away.

I think what worries me most is that there is sometimes a consensus that a more "lifestyle" friendly legal job just doesn't exist, even in-house. And for those that do exist, the competition is insane. I'm OK with working long hours, I just need more of a rigid schedule and I need my weekends back/to be reliable.

OP, don't get sucked into TLS's close-mindedness that "the only worthy legal jobs that exist are Big Law, Art3 clerkships, and in-house." This is a bottomless vortex of doom that contradicts 80% of the jobs other lawyers have.

Assuming you are okay with a big deduction in pay (as you previously stated), there are a ton of legal jobs out there at smaller firms that would provide an infinitely better work-life balance. Also, if you truly do have a decent amount of cash saved up, you may want to think about starting your own practice.

Start thinking outside the TLS sandbox and the grass might start to appear greener.

Return to “Legal Employment�