TV in office?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jchiles

Silver

TV in office?

Postby jchiles » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:50 pm

Is this a thing for lawyers? I obviously wouldn't install a tv/cable setup in my office as an associate but do you guys know of partners that do this? Seems like it'd be a nice thing to have and I know people in other fields that do this.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: TV in office?

Postby trebekismyhero » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:56 pm

jchiles wrote:Is this a thing for lawyers? I obviously wouldn't install a tv/cable setup in my office as an associate but do you guys know of partners that do this? Seems like it'd be a nice thing to have and I know people in other fields that do this.

Everyone I know just streams stuff on their computers when they're slow or go to the cafeteria and watch tv. I think a tv/cable in your office would be a bad look even for partners. In my job before law school I did have a tv in my office though, but something that seems less acceptable in law firms

jchiles

Silver

Postby jchiles » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:02 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
jchiles wrote:Is this a thing for lawyers? I obviously wouldn't install a tv/cable setup in my office as an associate but do you guys know of partners that do this? Seems like it'd be a nice thing to have and I know people in other fields that do this.

Everyone I know just streams stuff on their computers when they're slow or go to the cafeteria and watch tv. I think a tv/cable in your office would be a bad look even for partners. In my job before law school I did have a tv in my office though, but something that seems less acceptable in law firms

That makes sense yeah I've never seen it in law firms but I have in a lot of other professional office settings. I am going to try and make it happen some day.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:08 pm

Interviewed with a partner who has this setup in his office. I thought it was cool.

Lincoln

Silver

Postby Lincoln » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:10 pm

I know of at least one partner at my firm that has this. I think it was probably more common back in the day when you didn't get breaking news online.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:25 pm

At least in the NY office, I think the work monitors at Paul Hastings can swap over to tv broadcasts.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:27 pm

pre-law school I work I-banking and all the associates/directors had TVs on the wall in their respective offices. Most of the time they were tuned to either CNBC/Bloomberg/Fox Business except for March Madness through Masters, when it is tuned to the respective sports channels. I think the intended goal was for presentations/colaboration work since they were all hooked up to the computer as well.

Now in BigLaw and I haven't seen anyone with one, but most people bring in a laptop/ipad and stream to that while "doing" work on their desktop; that's what I do as a 1st year and I haven't had issues.

jchiles

Silver

Postby jchiles » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:41 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Interviewed with a partner who has this setup in his office. I thought it was cool.

Nice, I interviewed in a lot of different offices at different sized firms and never saw a tv so this is reassuring.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:05 pm

All I can think about is that scene in American Psycho when Bateman walks into his office in the morning and turns on Jeopardy.

deadpanic

Silver

Postby deadpanic » Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:57 pm

jchiles wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

That makes sense yeah I've never seen it in law firms but I have in a lot of other professional office settings. I am going to try and make it happen some day.

My old boss at a bank got one installed. I thought it was kind of obnoxious, but that was probably more of the fact that he was a dickhead to begin with.

It reminds me of this shitty liquor store I frequent and the cashier just constantly watching Judge Judy-type shows all day. Those jobs seem more the type where TV at work is appropriate. (Not a knock; I would love to watch TV at work).

My buddy's parents growing up had a 2 person law office. Downstairs was the office. Upstairs had an apartment with TV, couch, bed, everything you needed. That was a pretty sweet setup.

elendinel

Silver

Postby elendinel » Sun Mar 12, 2017 12:41 pm

I used to work with a partner who watched movies and played video games in his office so loudly I could hear them 6-7 doors down. Don't think anyone ever spoke to him about it.

I think computer + headphones is better for all sorts of reasons, unless you need your clients to see you have the news on your TV 24/7, or if you teleconference a lot. I don't think it's usually frowned upon to have one, though. Some firms may get it for you as a business expense.

Return to “Legal Employment�