Negotiating summer compensation at small firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Negotiating summer compensation at small firm

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:53 am

Does anyone here have experience negotiating compensation for summer positions at small firms? I was just offered a position at a ~25 person firm in South Jersey (Philly market), and I don't know what to expect in terms of pay. I also got a second interview at a Delaware firm that pays their summer clerks $1,500 per week. That's really the only comparison I have. What should I tell the Jersey firm if it comes up?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Negotiating summer compensation at small firm

Postby RaceJudicata » Fri Mar 10, 2017 1:49 pm

There probably won't be any negotiation. Do whatever pays more or whatever is more convenient geographically.

max_p

New

Postby max_p » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:47 pm

Bump. In a very similar position.

jchiles

Silver

Postby jchiles » Fri Mar 10, 2017 5:54 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:There probably won't be any negotiation. Do whatever pays more or whatever is more convenient geographically.

Yeah this. 1500 a week isn't bad for a summer at a small firm in Delaware, it may be more than you can expect in south jersey depending on what that other firm does.

deadpanic

Silver

Postby deadpanic » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:02 pm

I think it definitely depends and we need more clarification.

1. What are your qualifications? If a small firm in DE is paying you $1,500.00 per week as a summer associate, you must have pretty good credentials.

2. What type of work does the 25-person shop do, mostly? Unless it is some elite boutique with high-end work, I don't think you would get anywhere near $1,500.00.

$1,500.00 per a week as a summer associate at a small firm without OCI is unheard of to me. I would lean there without any additional info as of now. I think it is highly unlikely you get anything near that at the other firm.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:08 pm

OP here. The New Jersey firm is a corporate boutique firm, doing a lot of venture capital and transactional work. The Delaware firm listed $1,500 in the job posting, so it has nothing to do with my credentials. I only took a year off between undergrad and law school.

Niddar

New

Postby Niddar » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:53 pm

There really isn't room for negotiation. Also, it's March 10. Don't shoot yourself in the foot and end up with no summer gig.

jkpolk

Silver

Postby jkpolk » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:01 pm

I think you should probably ask NJ what's the salary so you can decide between NJ and DE. You have no leverage to negotiate, they'll happily let you walk. Employees don't have a ton of leverage at law firms in general.

Return to “Legal Employment�