Biglaw Telecommuting Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
LondonCallingV10

New

Re: Biglaw Telecommuting

Post by LondonCallingV10 » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:36 am

There are some people at Shearman who are really weird about this - seems to be a trust problem. I turned down a senior lateral position there once because when I asked in the interview how often people worked remotely (which had never been an issue at all in my previous firms) they got very funny about a minimum of 9-5 attendance in the office being crucial for the group dynamic.

Well-run firms in my experience are totally flexible with the people they trust - so while it would probably not be great for a first year to work from home a lot (they need to establish relationships and learn from watching others), more senior people should come and go as they please provided they are always available and doing a good job. I never mind juniors I am working with calling in from wherever they are once I have worked with them for a bit and trust that they will get the job done - most of my colleagues feel the same.

I would go so far as to say that having to formally institute (and even worse, think it is worth publicising) a remote working policy, is a sign of am unhealthy control-freak culture.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:06 am

Man some of these policies are bizarre to me. Everyone at my office comes and goes as they please, including first years and interns. Just get your shit done

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 18, 2017 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:Kirkland, at least in Chicago, allows you to work from home as much as you want. Wouldn't be a good idea to do 100% of the time, but people do it all the time.

I dont really think this is a radical thing.
A couple years ago Kirkland Chicago had a guy who lived in Raleigh and worked at the Chicago office. Not a partner, and I believe started his second year. Had to come to Chicago once a month for practice group meetings.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
A couple years ago Kirkland Chicago had a guy who lived in Raleigh and worked at the Chicago office. Not a partner, and I believe started his second year. Had to come to Chicago once a month for practice group meetings.
Is this a common thing for associates or young of counsel? I'm going to make a run for partner these next 2 years but if it doesn't pan out I might just ask if I can work from Salt Lake or Jackson, Wy.

ballouttacontrol

Silver

Post by ballouttacontrol » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Is this a common thing for associates or young of counsel? I'm going to make a run for partner these next 2 years but if it doesn't pan out I might just ask if I can work from Salt Lake or Jackson, Wy.
I posted directly above you but my firm has a ton of Of Counsels that do this and live in BFE

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”