Top 5-10% UH/SMU Biglaw Chances?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 5-10% UH/SMU Biglaw Chances?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:28 pm

Hello All,

Bit of a TLS lurker over here in my 1L year. My grades probably get me pretty close to top 5% of my class at UH/SMU. I was wondering what my chances are for Big Law in Dallas/Houston (I get that SMU=Dallas and UH=Houston for the most part but I'm trying to keep this a bit ambiguous) during my 2L summer. I only got one call to interview for a 1L slot at a big law firm but had to turn it down because I had already accepted something else. I get that people at these schools get some Big Law opportunities but nothing seems set in stone.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Devlin

Re: Top 5-10% UH/SMU Biglaw Chances?

Postby Devlin » Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:34 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hello All,

Bit of a TLS lurker over year in my 1L year. My grades probably get me pretty close to top 5% of my class at UH/SMU. I was wondering what my chances are for Big Law in Dallas/Houston (I get that SMU=Dallas and UH=Houston for the most part but I'm trying to keep this a bit ambiguous) during my 2L summer. I only got one call to interview for a 1L slot at a big law firm but had to turn it down because I had already accepted something else. I get that people at these schools get some Big Law opportunities but nothing seems set in stone.

Really good. Congrats. Do well second semester.

texanslimjim

Postby texanslimjim » Mon Mar 06, 2017 7:20 pm

Top 10% is exactly where you need to be to have a serious chance at Big Law from those schools. Just spitballing, I'd say it's roughly equivalent to the chances a top 30% UT student or a median T14 student, with the caveat that you are geographically more limited. That is to say, you're competitive, but how you present yourself and perform in OCI interviews is going to matter.

The more interesting question is whether or not it's worth transferring to Texas or a T14.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:58 pm

Not worth transferring unless you want to chase the most prestigious clerkships. The preselect system means you'll get in front of every firm you want to get in front of.

For what it's worth I was c/o 2013 in the same exact position. Ended up with 10+ callbacks and 5 offers after the first 7 callbacks. I went through OCI in 2011.

Roy McAvoy

Postby Roy McAvoy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:04 pm

You'll be fine. Everyone at SMU that I know in the top 10% or so had a good selection to choose from. That includes big law firms with Dallas offices - I know we have a few people going to the Dallas offices of Weil, Fish, JW, HB, Locke Lord, etc. but I don't have any hard data to back that up. Just the rumor mill. I would be very surprised if we didn't have a few headed to BB Dallas as well.

Edited for clarity.

deliriousxix

Postby deliriousxix » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:28 pm

I was right at top 10% at SMU and received around 10 big law offers (two from Houston firms). You should have no problem securing a big law SA position with those grades, unless you have poor interviewing skills. In my OCI year (2013), being in the top quarter at SMU gave you a good shot at getting multiple big law offers, provided that you were a normal human being. Congrats on your success, and make sure you keep up the good grades in your second semester!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:26 am

I'm top 5% at UH and while I did not get a coveted 1L SA, since those are super rare, I did have 8 screeners and 3 callbacks so I feel pretty good about 2L OCI.

I bet you're in a similar situation, you just didn't pursue 1L SA options as strongly as I did, based on what you wrote at least.

So as long as we keep our grades up this semester, we should be good.

RaceJudicata

Postby RaceJudicata » Wed Mar 08, 2017 11:44 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm top 5% at UH and while I did not get a coveted 1L SA, since those are super rare, I did have 8 screeners and 3 callbacks so I feel pretty good about 2L OCI.

I bet you're in a similar situation, you just didn't pursue 1L SA options as strongly as I did, based on what you wrote at least.

No offense, but you should work on your interviewing skills. 8--3--0 isn't a great result. Also, this is all premature. Your grades can -- and often do -- dramatically change between 1L fall and spring. Keep grinding, but don't get ahead of yourself.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2017 12:09 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm top 5% at UH and while I did not get a coveted 1L SA, since those are super rare, I did have 8 screeners and 3 callbacks so I feel pretty good about 2L OCI.

No offense, but you should work on your interviewing skills. 8--3--0 isn't a great result. Also, this is all premature. Your grades can -- and often do -- dramatically change between 1L fall and spring. Keep grinding, but don't get ahead of yourself.

1. No offense taken. These firms all ultimately took between 0-2 1L students and, as far as I'm aware, they all ended up being T14 students. So it is what it is.

2. Obviously. Which is why I included the proviso of "so as long as we keep our grades." That is far from a given.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 09, 2017 4:42 am

top 10% at SMU will get you in front of every firm at OCI for a screener and then from there it's up to you. do practice interviews, etc. and do law review even though it sucks

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 20, 2017 12:35 pm

I was top 5% at UH. Applied during 1L OCI but didn't have any offers (usually only diversity candidates got those spots in my experience, no shade that's just what happened our year). During 2L OCI, had the max amount of screeners you could have at UH (forgot if it was 10 or 15) and had callbacks with all but 2 firms (which ended up being litigation boutiques I really wasn't particularly interested in). I had offers at every firm I had a callback with (with the caveat I canceled the last few because I was tired / had the offers I wanted), including those firms who dinged me 1L.

Had a friend who transferred to NYU/Columbia (vague for anon) and regretted doing it because they ended up moving back here anyway.

You'll be fine - just keep the grades up.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:22 pm

OP here, wondering how much networking factored into those interviews, cbs, and offers. I met a few people this semester who I think could go to bat but only one or two who probably really would want to..I'm generally a quiet person but have worked in a corporate environment before

Roy McAvoy

Postby Roy McAvoy » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:06 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here, wondering how much networking factored into those interviews, cbs, and offers. I met a few people this semester who I think could go to bat but only one or two who probably really would want to..I'm generally a quiet person but have worked in a corporate environment before

Dude, don't overthink it. Your grades are stellar and you nailed something down for this summer early. Learn as much as you can this summer and make some connections. Get a good writing sample, draft solid, tailored cover letters for OCI, and don't be a weirdo during interviews. Outside of T14/UT this is as good a situation as you could've possibly hoped for if you want Houston/Dallas (depending on which school you're at). Keep up the good work.

Return to “Legal Employment”