Splitting 1L Summer between two firm locations possible?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 327331
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting 1L Summer between two firm locations possible?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A few times 1Ls have expressed concerns to me about accepting an offer at my biglaw firm because they have already accepted a PI position. I generally ask their preference and then call the PI firm/organization and ask them to release the student from their agreement. I then task the student on some pro bono work for the summer.

Not exactly a parallel answer to OP's question, but read into it as you may.


Wait so the firm reneged on the offer on behalf of the student? I feel like that's insulting to the PI organization


Yea this seems really bizarre


Yes. Happens regularly.

RaceJudicata

Gold
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Splitting 1L Summer between two firm locations possible?

Postby RaceJudicata » Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A few times 1Ls have expressed concerns to me about accepting an offer at my biglaw firm because they have already accepted a PI position. I generally ask their preference and then call the PI firm/organization and ask them to release the student from their agreement. I then task the student on some pro bono work for the summer.

Not exactly a parallel answer to OP's question, but read into it as you may.


Wait so the firm reneged on the offer on behalf of the student? I feel like that's insulting to the PI organization


Yea this seems really bizarre


Why doesn't the student just quit the PI gig on their own? There is absolutely nothing "wrong" with revoking their acceptance if - god forbid - they want to get paid or work at a firm. Probably CSO's fault. They really give students horrible, self-serving advice (but I suppose thats not new news).

Anonymous User
Posts: 327331
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting 1L Summer between two firm locations possible?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:05 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A few times 1Ls have expressed concerns to me about accepting an offer at my biglaw firm because they have already accepted a PI position. I generally ask their preference and then call the PI firm/organization and ask them to release the student from their agreement. I then task the student on some pro bono work for the summer.

Not exactly a parallel answer to OP's question, but read into it as you may.


Wait so the firm reneged on the offer on behalf of the student? I feel like that's insulting to the PI organization


Yea this seems really bizarre


Why doesn't the student just quit the PI gig on their own? There is absolutely nothing "wrong" with revoking their acceptance if - god forbid - they want to get paid or work at a firm. Probably CSO's fault. They really give students horrible, self-serving advice (but I suppose thats not new news).


Probably because there are repercussions (ex: CSO banning student from OCI) to reneging on the PI gig if the student got it by applying to a posting on the school's website or something along those lines. If the student got it independently, it should be fine but there's always the risk that someone in CSO would hear about it

RaceJudicata

Gold
Posts: 1726
Joined: Mon Jun 22, 2015 2:51 pm

Re: Splitting 1L Summer between two firm locations possible?

Postby RaceJudicata » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A few times 1Ls have expressed concerns to me about accepting an offer at my biglaw firm because they have already accepted a PI position. I generally ask their preference and then call the PI firm/organization and ask them to release the student from their agreement. I then task the student on some pro bono work for the summer.

Not exactly a parallel answer to OP's question, but read into it as you may.


Wait so the firm reneged on the offer on behalf of the student? I feel like that's insulting to the PI organization


Yea this seems really bizarre


Why doesn't the student just quit the PI gig on their own? There is absolutely nothing "wrong" with revoking their acceptance if - god forbid - they want to get paid or work at a firm. Probably CSO's fault. They really give students horrible, self-serving advice (but I suppose thats not new news).


Probably because there are repercussions (ex: CSO banning student from OCI) to reneging on the PI gig if the student got it by applying to a posting on the school's website or something along those lines. If the student got it independently, it should be fine but there's always the risk that someone in CSO would hear about it


I don't think reneging on an offer is something a CSO would ban someone for. It's not egregious like lying on your resume, or even unethical.

Edit: giving them too much credit, I'm sure they would go after someone for this. ... but I still feel it's an incredibly short sighted move to do so.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327331
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting 1L Summer between two firm locations possible?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 04, 2017 9:33 pm

How helpful is it to have have a V100 1L SA position on your resume going into 2L OCI, particularly if you want market like DC or NY?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327331
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting 1L Summer between two firm locations possible?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:51 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A few times 1Ls have expressed concerns to me about accepting an offer at my biglaw firm because they have already accepted a PI position. I generally ask their preference and then call the PI firm/organization and ask them to release the student from their agreement. I then task the student on some pro bono work for the summer.

Not exactly a parallel answer to OP's question, but read into it as you may.


Wait so the firm reneged on the offer on behalf of the student? I feel like that's insulting to the PI organization


Believe it or not, but I've heard of a big/midlaw firm offering to help a student renege on a fed dist. court judge. (e.g. partner call chambers)

Anonymous User
Posts: 327331
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting 1L Summer between two firm locations possible?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:11 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A few times 1Ls have expressed concerns to me about accepting an offer at my biglaw firm because they have already accepted a PI position. I generally ask their preference and then call the PI firm/organization and ask them to release the student from their agreement. I then task the student on some pro bono work for the summer.

Not exactly a parallel answer to OP's question, but read into it as you may.


Wait so the firm reneged on the offer on behalf of the student? I feel like that's insulting to the PI organization


Believe it or not, but I've heard of a big/midlaw firm offering to help a student renege on a fed dist. court judge. (e.g. partner call chambers)


I feel like the judge would not take that well. How does the student not get a bad rep when a firm reneges for the student? Doesn't it show that the student can't make decisions/is too afraid to make them on his/her own?

Anonymous User
Posts: 327331
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting 1L Summer between two firm locations possible?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A few times 1Ls have expressed concerns to me about accepting an offer at my biglaw firm because they have already accepted a PI position. I generally ask their preference and then call the PI firm/organization and ask them to release the student from their agreement. I then task the student on some pro bono work for the summer.

Not exactly a parallel answer to OP's question, but read into it as you may.


Wait so the firm reneged on the offer on behalf of the student? I feel like that's insulting to the PI organization


Believe it or not, but I've heard of a big/midlaw firm offering to help a student renege on a fed dist. court judge. (e.g. partner call chambers)


Which market? NY? DC?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327331
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Splitting 1L Summer between two firm locations possible?

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:01 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A few times 1Ls have expressed concerns to me about accepting an offer at my biglaw firm because they have already accepted a PI position. I generally ask their preference and then call the PI firm/organization and ask them to release the student from their agreement. I then task the student on some pro bono work for the summer.

Not exactly a parallel answer to OP's question, but read into it as you may.


Wait so the firm reneged on the offer on behalf of the student? I feel like that's insulting to the PI organization


Believe it or not, but I've heard of a big/midlaw firm offering to help a student renege on a fed dist. court judge. (e.g. partner call chambers)


Edited.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.