Splitting 1L Summer between two firm locations possible?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Splitting 1L Summer between two firm locations possible?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:24 am

Hi everyone,

Current 1L at T-14 school. I did pretty good last semester, finishing in top 10%. I was fortunate enough to land a 1L SA gig with a V-20 firm, and one that I really like. Only thing is I'm going to one of the firm's locations that I'm not sure I want to work at after graduation. I took the position with the hope that maybe I could transfer to another office next summer. I was also considering asking the firm if they would allow me to spend a few weeks in a different office this summer. Would that come across as implying that I never wanted to work in their office in the first place? Is it worth a try or should I just keep my mouth shut and be happy I actually got a 1L SA position. And if not that, what are the chances that the firm would allow me to spend half of my next summer at a different office if I'm brought back?

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: Splitting 1L Summer between two firm locations possible?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:53 am

In the same vein, would it be ok to ask a firm to split the summer with a PI organization? (only 11 weeks in the summer)

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:45 am

Usually a firm will have FAQs. If in those, you don't find anything about a split summer, check the nalp form (i think). If still nothing, you already have an offer. What are they gonna do - rescind it because you ask about their policy on split summers?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:20 am

But my question was about asking the firm if I could spend a few weeks in one of their other offices.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:55 am

I don't think it will hurt you too much to ask. They certainly could say no (and I think they might -- particularly because you are a 1L and 1L hiring is dramatically different than 2L hiring). I don't think, however, that it will be some black mark on you for asking.

lymenheimer

Gold

Postby lymenheimer » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:58 am

Anonymous User wrote:But my question was about asking the firm if I could spend a few weeks in one of their other offices.

One of your questions was. And I responded to that one too. Some firms explicitly say that to split with another office you must receive an offer from both. Some say that you can rotate offices. Either way, my question to you was a response to your real question which was "am I gonna look bad?"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2017 7:18 pm

I'd also like to hear what people think about this. I'm considering asking the firm I'm summering at whether I can spend half the summer at a different location, but am worried about how it would look. I just think it would make things awkward if they get the impression that you want to leave before you start.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:46 pm

Has anyone successfully split between firm and pi?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:55 pm

A few times 1Ls have expressed concerns to me about accepting an offer at my biglaw firm because they have already accepted a PI position. I generally ask their preference and then call the PI firm/organization and ask them to release the student from their agreement. I then task the student on some pro bono work for the summer.

Not exactly a parallel answer to OP's question, but read into it as you may.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone successfully split between firm and pi?

I'm not sure but I don't think a firm will let a 1L do that...1L SA positions are super competitive so if you say you want to split, they can just ask another candidate. It's not like they're running out of candidates

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:18 am

Anonymous User wrote:

I'm not sure but I don't think a firm will let a 1L do that...1L SA positions are super competitive so if you say you want to split, they can just ask another candidate. It's not like they're running out of candidates

That's discouraging :( can anyone speak to this?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:21 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I agree that I don't think a firm will let a 1L split offices. That said, I don't think the firm will rescind an offer if someone were to ask. And even if they wanted to, the firm might not be able to rescind the offer under NALP rules.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:45 am

Just do the 1L summer in location X, get the firm on your resume, then tell the firm you would be interested in location Y and participate in OCI for location Y. This isn't difficult. Live away from mommy for 1 summer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:Just do the 1L summer in location X, get the firm on your resume, then tell the firm you would be interested in location Y and participate in OCI for location Y. This isn't difficult. Live away from mommy for 1 summer.

Really?? Maybe they should try to spend a few weeks in the office they want to work in. That would substantially increase chances of getting the 2L SA at preferred market.

Npret

Gold

Postby Npret » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just do the 1L summer in location X, get the firm on your resume, then tell the firm you would be interested in location Y and participate in OCI for location Y. This isn't difficult. Live away from mommy for 1 summer.

Really?? Maybe they should try to spend a few weeks in the office they want to work in. That would substantially increase chances of getting the 2L SA at preferred market.

I don't agree. The best way to get a 2L SA in the preferred market is to have the 1L office think you are terrific and help you get an offer at the other location.

I wouldn't ask. Get an offer and a good impression from the firm first. 1L SA is still a job interview. I wouldn't go in asking for favors before you even start. It's not a good look.

I know others might think it's fine to ask, but you are already signaling dissatisfaction with the firm and location before you start.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:13 am

Npret wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I don't agree. The best way to get a 2L SA in the preferred market is to have the 1L office think you are terrific and help you get an offer at the other location.

I wouldn't ask. Get an offer and a good impression from the firm first. 1L SA is still a job interview. I wouldn't go in asking for favors before you even start. It's not a good look.

I know others might think it's fine to ask, but you are already signaling dissatisfaction with the firm and location before you start.

Exactly my mindset going to a 1L SA. Nicely said.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:06 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

I agree that I don't think a firm will let a 1L split offices. That said, I don't think the firm will rescind an offer if someone were to ask. And even if they wanted to, the firm might not be able to rescind the offer under NALP rules.

What about splitting by hours? The PI organization wants at least X number of hours of commitment per week. I could technically work at the firm in the morning and then at the PI organization in the afternoon. But I'm guessing that's really bizarre and unheard of. (Btw I accepted the pi job and have an offer from the firm)

AZ123

New

Postby AZ123 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

What about splitting by hours? The PI organization wants at least X number of hours of commitment per week. I could technically work at the firm in the morning and then at the PI organization in the afternoon. But I'm guessing that's really bizarre and unheard of. (Btw I accepted the pi job and have an offer from the firm)

Just take the firm job and give it 100% of your time/effort and don't look back.

Npret

Gold

Postby Npret » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:15 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes bizarre. Why are you trying to create a special deal for yourself? This isn't how firms work and probably not PI either. They need you there working and completing work. I don't know. I understand why you are asking in this thread because you have nothing to lose. I'm just not sure why you are trying to do this- what do you think you will gain from it?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:31 pm

Npret wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes bizarre. Why are you trying to create a special deal for yourself? This isn't how firms work and probably not PI either. They need you there working and completing work. I don't know. I understand why you are asking in this thread because you have nothing to lose. I'm just not sure why you are trying to do this- what do you think you will gain from it?

I agree with this. You could ask to split the summer by weeks. I've seen 2Ls do it but I don't know about 1Ls, so I'm probably not the best person to speak to this

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:16 pm

+1 for just ask. What is the firm going to do? Rescind your offer?

If OP has good enough stats to get a 1L SA, he is in a good spot to trade up to a better firm in his home market for 2L. If anything, the current firm would want to accommodate OP so they don't throw 30k at him this summer only for him to go to a different firm for 2L.

ETA: don't split by hour, that makes no sense. If you really want to work at the PI org split it by week. I see a lot of 1Ls doing this.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:11 pm

Asking to split by the hour can and probably will hurt you because it shows terrible judgment.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:18 pm

Not OP here but in similar situation. Is splitting by weeks better than splitting by days?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A few times 1Ls have expressed concerns to me about accepting an offer at my biglaw firm because they have already accepted a PI position. I generally ask their preference and then call the PI firm/organization and ask them to release the student from their agreement. I then task the student on some pro bono work for the summer.

Wait so the firm reneged on the offer on behalf of the student? I feel like that's insulting to the PI organization

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Mar 04, 2017 6:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:A few times 1Ls have expressed concerns to me about accepting an offer at my biglaw firm because they have already accepted a PI position. I generally ask their preference and then call the PI firm/organization and ask them to release the student from their agreement. I then task the student on some pro bono work for the summer.

Wait so the firm reneged on the offer on behalf of the student? I feel like that's insulting to the PI organization

Yea this seems really bizarre

Return to “Legal Employment�