What should I be doing to get a job Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
cougs1112

New

What should I be doing to get a job

Post by cougs1112 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 6:55 pm

Median 2L at UH/SMU
I don't have anything lined up for the summer
Working at a small firm now but I'm not sure if they're wanting a full time law clerk for the summer
Want to eventually work at a small firm but any full time jd required job is good

acr

Silver

Re: What should I be doing to get a job

Post by acr » Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:18 pm

Start cold calling/emailing government organizations or small firms in your target market. You could probably have something by tomorrow if you offer to volunteer somewhere (local DA, PD, etc). Then use your time over the summer to network with firms in the market. Meet with anyone and everyone who's willing for lunch or drinks or whatever. Just put yourself out there and be more aggressive.

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:08 pm

Ask what your firm's plans are for the summer. If they want a clerk full time, you should be set or at least be at the top of their list. Otherwise, like the above poster said, lunch/drinks for informational interviews with as many people as you can find. I was in your same position until recently, but with a little better grades, and just networked and networked and a great opportunity pretty much fell into my lap. Just keep grinding away, if you're not gunning for big law your grades are fine.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:08 pm

Roy McAvoy wrote:Ask what your firm's plans are for the summer. If they want a clerk full time, you should be set or at least be at the top of their list. Otherwise, like the above poster said, lunch/drinks for informational interviews with as many people as you can find. I was in your same position until recently, but with a little better grades, and just networked and networked and a great opportunity pretty much fell into my lap. Just keep grinding away, if you're not gunning for big law your grades are fine.
What did you ask during informational interviews?

Roy McAvoy

Bronze

Post by Roy McAvoy » Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Roy McAvoy wrote:Ask what your firm's plans are for the summer. If they want a clerk full time, you should be set or at least be at the top of their list. Otherwise, like the above poster said, lunch/drinks for informational interviews with as many people as you can find. I was in your same position until recently, but with a little better grades, and just networked and networked and a great opportunity pretty much fell into my lap. Just keep grinding away, if you're not gunning for big law your grades are fine.
What did you ask during informational interviews?
Ask about their practice, background, career, firm, hobbies, whatever. Just get to know them, and keep in touch. You'd be surprised how many people are willing to help you out down the road after initially asking them for advice and making a good impression. It's also essential to keep in touch beyond just asking for a job. Something like a simple email along the lines of "I remember you had season tickets to [your alma mater's football team], I hope you were able to make it to that huge win you had over your rival last weekend!" or equally irrelevant goes a long way.

AFS

New

Post by AFS » Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:12 pm

Get involved with organizations in the city, whether that's Houston or Dallas. If you're a minority, minority bar associations are a good place to start. If you have any interest in politics, local political lawyer associations are also good. They put you in smaller settings where you can meet attorneys and get your name out there. Build good relationships with experienced attorneys who are well-connected. When they hear about someone hiring, you want to make sure you're the person they think of.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”