Lateral application to a firm while working with that firm

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lateral application to a firm while working with that firm

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 12:17 pm

Ok, so I'm a transactional attorney who currently works at a satellite office of a mid market Amlaw 100 firm. I've been exploring my lateral options, and there is, what seems to be, a perfect opportunity for my experience level at a much larger, more prestigious firm in my city. Currently, I just happen to be trying to close a transaction in which, my firm represents Lender, and the firm representing Borrower is the firm I'm eyeing. I'm on calls/negotiating almost every day with one of the main partners from the firm's practice group that is hiring. It's not a huge group. The deal is scheduled to close in a few weeks and it could slip. I don't want to wait and to miss the opportunity. I also don't want to end up in a conflict of interest, or at least, an awkward situation. It seems likely that, if my resume progresses, then, at some point in the process, the partner I'm working with will get the resume on their desk.

I'm wondering if anyone has any advice or experience from being in this or a similar situation? Is it professionally irresponsible to apply before closing the deal?

Anonymous User

Re: Lateral application to a firm while working with that firm

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 1:07 pm

it can take 3 weeks to even get a response. just apply.

You have a conflict, you just dont talk about it in the interview if you get one. I have had interviews with opposing counsel with a case that I am working. As a junior you probably dont have a huge amount of direct contact with the person anyway.

Return to “Legal Employment�