What is the deal with REITs? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What is the deal with REITs?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:05 pm

Considering joining a V100 NYC law firm that does a lot of REIT work. It is M&A and capital market REIT work. I am unsure how the fact that the work revolves around real estate investment trusts affects the work, the exit options, or anything else.

Anyone have any experience or know anything about REITs?

kalvano

Diamond

Re: What is the deal with REITs?

Post by kalvano » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:23 am

You'd likely do a fair amount of tax work and structuring of agreements to make sure income from those agreements is "good income" and doesn't screw up the REIT's tax classification.

Johann

Diamond

Post by Johann » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:28 am

yeah mainly corp structuring though.

its basically deal based work and compliance based work (there are lots of regulations that have to be continually met every quarter to keep tax-privileged REIT status).

some tax knowledge is helpful to really understand where the clients are coming from. but for the most part, the tax side is the brains behind the operation and the corporate side is the execution, so if youre on corp side, not particularly tax heavy.

exit options are great right now to go in house with and business is similarly booming enough that young people who started in this field 10 years ago are sitting pretty with books of business and partners now. but like all things in the legal world, its impossible to determine how long that will last/be necessary for.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:03 pm

Hi TLS. I wanted to piggy back off of this thread. I'm in the lateral market and received an offer to join a corporate group that does a lot of REIT work (M&A and capital markets). Anyone have experience in this field / know people who do? What are some typical exit options? REITs are a black box mystery to me - do they employ many people? Is the knowledge gained working with REITs transferable?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:14 pm

FYI - REITs avoid corporate-level taxation but are subject to significant regulatory requirements and constraints. A substantial drop in the corporate income tax rate could significantly and negatively impact the continued use of REITs.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Sep 19, 2017 10:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Considering joining a V100 NYC law firm that does a lot of REIT work. It is M&A and capital market REIT work. I am unsure how the fact that the work revolves around real estate investment trusts affects the work, the exit options, or anything else.

Anyone have any experience or know anything about REITs?
Congrats on the offer-- mind sharing your stats?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”