What Do You Do About Someone In Your Office Constantly Coughing and Clearing Throat? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TooMuchTuna

Silver

Re: What Do You Do About Someone In Your Office Constantly Coughing and Clearing Throat?

Post by TooMuchTuna » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:17 am

Does he eat an entire box every day? Does he eat anything else during the day or is it 'all cheez-its all the time'?

Anonymous User

Re: What Do You Do About Someone In Your Office Constantly Coughing and Clearing Throat?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:24 am

TooMuchTuna wrote:Does he eat an entire box every day? Does he eat anything else during the day or is it 'all cheez-its all the time'?
I have seen him go through more than one box, but I would say the average is one a day. I really only notice him when the coughing gets out of control and he is always eating Cheezits at that time. I'm not sure what else, if anything, he eats during the day.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:43 am

This is why lawyers have to go through the metal detectors in some courts.

Seriously, do not engage. This person sounds seriously unstable.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:58 pm

B90 wrote:This is why lawyers have to go through the metal detectors in some courts.

Seriously, do not engage. This person sounds seriously unstable.
He isn't a lawyer. He is a Ph.D type. But, you may be correct on the stability.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:42 pm

kalvano wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
jchiles wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Cougher reportedly choked on his Cheezits this afternoon and had to be helped out by some co-workers. I am not making this up. You can't make things up that are this wild. He has now left for the day apparently.
As someone who has reflux and coughs a lot, I feel pretty comfortable saying this guy really needs to see a doctor and get this worked out.
Ya, I hope this dude doesn't have some massive tumor in his throat.
I mean, if he does, that should solve the coughing problem relatively soon.
This was underappreciated. Also props to op for fanning the flame

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:18 am

Cough, cough, sniff, sniff, cough, SNNNNEEEEEZZZZEEEEEE, cough, cough, sniff, sniff, throat clear, sniff, loud throat gargle, spit into trash can, cough, cough, sniff, SNNNEEEEZZEEEE.

I am so glad I put in a request to be relocated yesterday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:56 pm

Alt123 wrote:Well, he might also have chronic bronchitis or CPD.
I work in a hospital now, and a lot of our patients have had a persistent cough for years and the pulmonologists have no clue why because they pass every test and their imaging comes back normal.

I feel so bad for those people because when they cough during their entire 45 minute appointment, they're apologizing the whole time and keep repeating, "I'm not contagious. It just won't stop". It's annoying for them to deal with, but I can also imagine it's super annoying to listen to all day. At least I get paid to listen to it.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Mon May 01, 2017 9:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Cough, cough, sniff, sniff, cough, SNNNNEEEEEZZZZEEEEEE, cough, cough, sniff, sniff, throat clear, sniff, loud throat gargle, spit into trash can, cough, cough, sniff, SNNNEEEEZZEEEE.

I am so glad I put in a request to be relocated yesterday.
It has been six days. Are OP and the cougher both still alive?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 01, 2017 10:04 am

My request for relocation has been denied. I had a voicemail from someone in HR that simply said, "We are unable to accommodate your request for office relocation at this time."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Mon May 01, 2017 10:20 am

Anonymous User wrote:My request for relocation has been denied. I had a voicemail from someone in HR that simply said, "We are unable to accommodate your request for office relocation at this time."
:cry:
Glad you are alive, though. Remember, what doesn't kill makes us stronger.
Unfortunately, if this is a true statement, then the contrapositive must also be true. What doesn't make us stronger kills us.

Seriously, stay alive, OP.

jess

Post by jess » Mon May 01, 2017 11:34 am

Last edited by jess on Thu Oct 26, 2017 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 04, 2017 10:43 am

This is an office rumor, but if it is true, we are making some progress! Supposedly, the cougher was told that he could no longer eat Cheezits at his desk because the coughing was disrupting and upsetting so many others. I wondered why it has been so quiet around here the last few days!

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Thu May 04, 2017 11:10 am

Anonymous User wrote:This is an office rumor, but if it is true, we are making some progress! Supposedly, the cougher was told that he could no longer eat Cheezits at his desk because the coughing was disrupting and upsetting so many others. I wondered why it has been so quiet around here the last few days!
I'm immediately shorting Kellogg's stock.

(Yes, I had to look up who made cheez-its).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Fri May 05, 2017 12:31 am

Anonymous User wrote:This is an office rumor, but if it is true, we are making some progress! Supposedly, the cougher was told that he could no longer eat Cheezits at his desk because the coughing was disrupting and upsetting so many others. I wondered why it has been so quiet around here the last few days!
Curious, is this a law firm? I know you said the cougher isn't a lawyer, but are you?
I'm just trying to come up with a plausible explanation for why it took nearly 3 months to get this result.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 11, 2017 9:22 am

B90 wrote:
Curious, is this a law firm? I know you said the cougher isn't a lawyer, but are you?
I'm just trying to come up with a plausible explanation for why it took nearly 3 months to get this result.
I am a lawyer, but do not work in a law firm. Cougher works in the same office as several lawyers. I can't believe it has taken this long to get this result either, but it did. Not sure why or how it would have been different or easier if it was a law firm though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Cougher was sent home from work (didn't go home sick -- sent home) because of severe sneezing fits that were caused by allergies. I have never heard anyone sneeze that loud and continuously in my life. If you just heard the noise you would have thought it was fake, but if you watched him they truly appeared to be genuine sneezes. This is the damnedest thing.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Fri May 12, 2017 4:41 pm

Progress. Cougher needs help and coworkers need quiet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun May 14, 2017 3:42 pm

A co-worker is asking for people's signatures on a letter he is submitting to HR and all of the top brass regarding the cougher. I didn't even read the letter but I declined. I hate and can't stand the cougher more than anyone, but writing a letter and gathering signatures?

I asked the letter writer if he was in middle school with this bullshit. He got slightly pissed and defensive. Apparently the coughing noises and distractions (like choking) are really bothering this co-worker. He has been complaining for many months, including in person and to cougher himself. he is considering quitting but hasn't found a job of equal or better pay.

I really don't want to sign the letter but this god damn coughing is tearing the office apart. Has anyone else ever dealt with anything like this?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun May 14, 2017 4:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:A co-worker is asking for people's signatures on a letter he is submitting to HR and all of the top brass regarding the cougher. I didn't even read the letter but I declined. I hate and can't stand the cougher more than anyone, but writing a letter and gathering signatures?

I asked the letter writer if he was in middle school with this bullshit. He got slightly pissed and defensive. Apparently the coughing noises and distractions (like choking) are really bothering this co-worker. He has been complaining for many months, including in person and to cougher himself. he is considering quitting but hasn't found a job of equal or better pay.

I really don't want to sign the letter but this god damn coughing is tearing the office apart. Has anyone else ever dealt with anything like this?
No.
I agree don't sign the letter. What is HR going to do here?

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Tue May 16, 2017 12:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:A co-worker is asking for people's signatures on a letter he is submitting to HR and all of the top brass regarding the cougher. I didn't even read the letter but I declined. I hate and can't stand the cougher more than anyone, but writing a letter and gathering signatures?

Sadly, I have. Feel free to PM if you want more details.

OP, you are my new hero. You exemplify the reason I wanted to become a lawyer; thank you for not being insufferable!

Stay classy and kudos on your lack of homicidal tendencies. You have just restored my faith in "the profession." Apparently, the BBE is better than I thought at screening.

ghostoftraynor

Bronze

Post by ghostoftraynor » Thu May 18, 2017 12:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
B90 wrote:
I am a lawyer, but do not work in a law firm. Cougher works in the same office as several lawyers. I can't believe it has taken this long to get this result either, but it did. Not sure why or how it would have been different or easier if it was a law firm though.
I'd think this person would be shitcanned pretty quickly in big law. In some ways, it's an easy place to hide and coast, but I'd think this would be shut down pretty quickly.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon May 22, 2017 10:17 am

After an extremely annoying coughing fit this morning (it sounded like someone was having a medical emergency in the hallway), the cougher has gone home sick. I have heard rumors that he has been asked to work remotely until he can get the coughing situation ironed out, but I can't confirm this.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon May 22, 2017 10:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:After an extremely annoying coughing fit this morning (it sounded like someone was having a medical emergency in the hallway), the cougher has gone home sick. I have heard rumors that he has been asked to work remotely until he can get the coughing situation ironed out, but I can't confirm this.
This saga is unbelievable.

B90

Silver

Post by B90 » Mon May 22, 2017 11:02 am

Anonymous User wrote:After an extremely annoying coughing fit this morning (it sounded like someone was having a medical emergency in the hallway), the cougher has gone home sick. I have heard rumors that he has been asked to work remotely until he can get the coughing situation ironed out, but I can't confirm this.
Happy Monday!
At a law firm, this would have happened months ago.
*The following is not actual legal advice:
You should encourage this rumor. Also, does the cougher have a desk that is easily accessible? If so, consider purchasing some streamers and other decorations. Decorate the desk with the appropriate message, either congrats on your retirement or, if you wish to be kind, get well soon. Perhaps take up a collection. It really is a pity that you do not appear to have an expense account. Hopefully, your company will be giving hardship pay to the cougher's victims.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 25, 2017 10:22 pm

Op here:

I sneezed today, really loud, twice. It was one of those where you have to close your eyes and it is back-to-back ACHOOOOS!

About two minutes later a woman in the office sent me an email with the subject line: Coughing and Sneezing

Was that you? Please keep it down over there. If you need more Cheezits, they are in the lounge area.

I got a good laugh out of it. Next thing I know, she forwarded it to a few others, who supposedly forwarded to others, and they forwarded to even more people.

This is ridiculous!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”