Excuse for an out-of-town interview - Biglaw Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Excuse for an out-of-town interview - Biglaw

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:36 pm

I have an interview in NYC in a few weeks. I work at a biglaw firm in another city. I'm flying in Sunday and will be interviewing for the morning on Monday. Then I fly out that evening.

What is a reasonable excuse? Should I just say I need the day off for some personal matters? Should I say that I'm going out of town?

1styearlateral

Silver

Re: Excuse for an out-of-town interview - Biglaw

Post by 1styearlateral » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:10 pm

Just take a personal day or two and don't say anymore. If they ask why say it's PERSONAL. :roll:

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 2:13 pm

You're gone for one day. Do you even need to give them a reason? Does your firm have a facetime requirement? You could always just put in your hours while on the plane. You definitely don't need to tell them you're going out of town. Perhaps just say you're getting dental work done, if you need an excuse?

That being said, I think it also depends on where you live currently, and how big your firm is. I have a friend that went to interviews from smaller airports (like SNA, or SJC) and saw other attorneys from his firm flying in/out. It was especially awkward for him, because he was in a suit and they knew he didn't have any business meetings to go to.

smokeylarue

Silver

Post by smokeylarue » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview in NYC in a few weeks. I work at a biglaw firm in another city. I'm flying in Sunday and will be interviewing for the morning on Monday. Then I fly out that evening.

What is a reasonable excuse? Should I just say I need the day off for some personal matters? Should I say that I'm going out of town?
This is sort of absurd. Have you never taken a single vacation day?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:10 pm

smokeylarue wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have an interview in NYC in a few weeks. I work at a biglaw firm in another city. I'm flying in Sunday and will be interviewing for the morning on Monday. Then I fly out that evening.

lol seriously.

"I will be out of the office on x day. If you need to reach me, call my cell." No one would ever think twice about that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Post by Abbie Doobie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 5:49 pm

guys you don't get it. op is a rockstar associate whose absence from the office for an entire single day will set off all kinds of red flags.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Post by RaceJudicata » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:10 pm

Plot twist: Are you trying to lateral because of incessant coughing from the person next door?

ruski

Bronze

Post by ruski » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:22 pm

clerk1251 wrote: That being said, I think it also depends on where you live currently, and how big your firm is. I have a friend that went to interviews from smaller airports (like SNA, or SJC) and saw other attorneys from his firm flying in/out. It was especially awkward for him, because he was in a suit and they knew he didn't have any business meetings to go to.
this is way more amusing than OP's inquiry. I just don't see how this is even remotely possible, even in a small city.

iliketurtles123

Bronze

Post by iliketurtles123 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:26 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Plot twist: Are you trying to lateral because of incessant coughing from the person next door?
No he's trying to lateral because his firm ran out of Cheezits

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

clerk1251

Bronze

Post by clerk1251 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:58 am

ruski wrote:
clerk1251 wrote: That being said, I think it also depends on where you live currently, and how big your firm is. I have a friend that went to interviews from smaller airports (like SNA, or SJC) and saw other attorneys from his firm flying in/out. It was especially awkward for him, because he was in a suit and they knew he didn't have any business meetings to go to.
this is way more amusing than OP's inquiry. I just don't see how this is even remotely possible, even in a small city.
Big firm, small cities, lots of business travel between SoCal and NorCal, it happens. Probably not all that often, but my buddy would regularly travel and see attorneys he knew at the airport. After that awkward experience, he just started driving up the coast whenever he had to interview.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:53 pm

iliketurtles123 wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:Plot twist: Are you trying to lateral because of incessant coughing from the person next door?
No he's trying to lateral because his firm ran out of Cheezits
CHEEZ ITS
http://31.media.tumblr.com/da0148c178b7 ... o1_400.gif

ookoshi

Bronze

Post by ookoshi » Thu Mar 02, 2017 9:54 pm

"I gotta go see about a girl."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:19 pm

smokeylarue wrote:

I don't take any days off except holidays, so it would set off flags unless I made up a plausible excuse. The last times I went to interview (and failed), I made up an emergency and a meeting. I guess I'll start taking personal days off.

(Sorry for necroing an old topic, just researching how to make an excuse)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:

I don't take any days off except holidays, so it would set off flags unless I made up a plausible excuse
Not really, there's always a "first day off." Don't overthink it. Folks are busy. No one's going to sit around speculating about your motives for taking a single day off. No need to start taking oodles of personal days off to disguise the one time you're going on an interview. If anything, suddenly taking oodles of vacation days when you'd never taken a single day off before might actually raise eyebrows.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:56 pm

QContinuum wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
smokeylarue wrote:

I don't take any days off except holidays, so it would set off flags unless I made up a plausible excuse
Not really, there's always a "first day off." Don't overthink it. Folks are busy. No one's going to sit around speculating about your motives for taking a single day off. No need to start taking oodles of personal days off to disguise the one time you're going on an interview. If anything, suddenly taking oodles of vacation days when you'd never taken a single day off before might actually raise eyebrows.
Thank you, this puts me a bit more at ease.

s1m4

Bronze

Post by s1m4 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:50 am

Had this issue come up last year where I had to fly out for a lateral interview in the middle of the week and also during a LIVE deal where I was responsible for standard junior/midlevel things. I knew that getting the job would have been life changing so I decided to make it happen; it was super stressful but I bit the bullet and told everyone I had a family energency and would be AFK for a few hours and would work from home the remainder of the time... It was horrible and I felt very guiltyz but ended up getting the job.

Guchster

Silver

Post by Guchster » Mon Feb 18, 2019 7:22 pm

As others have implied, don't give a reason you'll be out of the office unless someone expressly asks where you were or going. Don't volunteer it up because usually no one cares. Sending an out of office calendar invite is enough for deal/case teams/ppl that need to know if you're in the office or not.

When I was in the process of lateral interviews, a micromanagey partner called me after I got back to the office after an interview and wanted to know where I was (it was brought up in a casual way, like "What were you up to?"). I made up some crap on the spot, that would've sounded less spazzy had I thought of something. Vet appointment, doctor/dentist appointment, fixing a flat/car issue, home repair--I mean the list can go on.

QContinuum

Post by QContinuum » Mon Feb 18, 2019 11:29 pm

Guchster wrote:As others have implied, don't give a reason you'll be out of the office unless someone expressly asks where you were or going. Don't volunteer it up because usually no one cares. Sending an out of office calendar invite is enough for deal/case teams/ppl that need to know if you're in the office or not.

When I was in the process of lateral interviews, a micromanagey partner called me after I got back to the office after an interview and wanted to know where I was (it was brought up in a casual way, like "What were you up to?"). I made up some crap on the spot, that would've sounded less spazzy had I thought of something. Vet appointment, doctor/dentist appointment, fixing a flat/car issue, home repair--I mean the list can go on.
Or even just that hackneyed phrase, "I had a personal issue"/"I had a family issue". Very rare even for the most micromanagey bosses to follow up by asking, "but what was the nature of your personal issue?!"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”