Conflicts Check - Post CB, but no offer yet

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Conflicts Check - Post CB, but no offer yet

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2017 10:30 pm

I recently received a conflicts and background check request (some forms) after a callback (back-to-back meeting with several partners; no lunch involved). I have not received an offer yet.

Typically, at what stage in the interview process does a conflicts check occur? I thought it'd happen after an offer. Does this mean the firm is very close to or serious about giving me an offer?

Additionally, do the attorneys play any role at all in the conflicts and background checks?

Thanks, TLS!

ookoshi

Bronze

Re: Conflicts Check - Post CB, but no offer yet

Postby ookoshi » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:51 pm

It does seem strange that they want to run conflicts before they give you an offer. If they aren't planning to offer you for sure, seems like a waste of time and resources. And even if they are worried someone they offered already might fail conflicts and you're next up, it still doesn't make sense, since they can just not give you an answer until that gets worked out one way or the other.

I would take it as a good sign, but you never know.

NYC2012

Bronze

Re: Conflicts Check - Post CB, but no offer yet

Postby NYC2012 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 1:49 am

Return to “Legal Employment�