Job Seeking after accepting an offer

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
MoreCowbell

New

Job Seeking after accepting an offer

Postby MoreCowbell » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:49 am

Quick background: I am a 3L who summered with a firm and received an offer, which I accepted in August. It is in another state. Since then, some familial situations have changed, and it would be much better for me to stay put. As a result, I would like to explore what few local options might be left at this point in the hiring cycle, but don't want to torpedo the out-of-state-gig, as I'd rather be out of state than graduating unemployed.

So, my question: if I do some local mass mailing, how likely is it that one of the applied-to firms looks into my summer situation and contacts the out-of-state firm? How are hiring partners likely to perceive someone shopping for employment while already having accepted an offer?

Any perspective or feedback is appreciated.

Thanks!

clerk1251

Bronze

Re: Job Seeking after accepting an offer

Postby clerk1251 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:05 pm

MoreCowbell wrote:Quick background: I am a 3L who summered with a firm and received an offer, which I accepted in August. It is in another state. Since then, some familial situations have changed, and it would be much better for me to stay put. As a result, I would like to explore what few local options might be left at this point in the hiring cycle, but don't want to torpedo the out-of-state-gig, as I'd rather be out of state than graduating unemployed.

So, my question: if I do some local mass mailing, how likely is it that one of the applied-to firms looks into my summer situation and contacts the out-of-state firm? How are hiring partners likely to perceive someone shopping for employment while already having accepted an offer?

Thanks!

This is both tricky and risky. Does your out state firm have an office in state? If its for good cause, you might be able to just have them let you start in your current state if they have an office. I have a few friends who did this.

MoreCowbell

New

Re: Job Seeking after accepting an offer

Postby MoreCowbell » Mon Feb 27, 2017 12:53 pm

clerk1251 wrote:
MoreCowbell wrote:Quick background: I am a 3L who summered with a firm and received an offer, which I accepted in August. It is in another state. Since then, some familial situations have changed, and it would be much better for me to stay put. As a result, I would like to explore what few local options might be left at this point in the hiring cycle, but don't want to torpedo the out-of-state-gig, as I'd rather be out of state than graduating unemployed.

Thanks!

This is both tricky and risky. Does your out state firm have an office in state? If its for good cause, you might be able to just have them let you start in your current state if they have an office. I have a few friends who did this.

Nope, no office in the state, sadly.

Return to “Legal Employment�