Killer interview tips

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Killer interview tips

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:03 pm

So I have the interview of my dreams tomorrow and I'm a nervous wreck. Wondering if anyone could share some killer tips they have, if any. The interview is with a large public sector department. I graduated law school in May, admitted last week and I've been clerking for a Judge since August. Thank you.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Re: Killer interview tips

Postby RaceJudicata » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:45 pm

Be yourself, and not too much coffee.

NYC2012

Bronze

Postby NYC2012 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:52 pm

Last edited by NYC2012 on Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:55 pm

Get enough sleep the night before; melatonin helps.

bk1

Diamond

Postby bk1 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:56 pm

Don't treat it as "the interview of your dreams."

Genius

Silver

Postby Genius » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:11 pm

bk1 wrote:Don't treat it as "the interview of your dreams."

^This

I had about 4 interviews lined up last year, starting with my #1 choice first. I was super nervous and sort of said too much/oversold myself. In the next few weeks I had 3 more, but since my #1 choice was done with, I just sort of relaxed and rehearsed my answers and had a much more composed interview. Almost just like talking to someone over coffee. Went 2/3 offer. The first firm no offered me after a callback interview. I think they understood I "really" wanted to be there but it also probably made them think, "well we're really not that great and this dude is so eager to join." I probably didn't come off as attractive. In a weird way, it's almost like dating.

SemiReverseSplinter

New

Postby SemiReverseSplinter » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:51 am

Put yourself in the shoes of the person you are interviewing. Think, if you were at their point in their career, what would be important. Examples for a private firm--for a young associate it's getting work, connecting with partners. A mid level would be concerned about trying to, or at least starting to think about how to, build a book. These things should interest you because it is your future. It will interest the interviewer cause s/he is living it. This is any easy way to have a genuine conversation between two people that are actually interested in the subject. An interview will go the best when both people are interested in the subject.

Under this approach, don't ask about things like culture, cause lawyers aren't really thinking about that stuff.

I don't know a lot about the public sector, but I'm sure similar logic can apply.

Nebby

Diamond

Postby Nebby » Mon Feb 27, 2017 1:54 am

RaceJudicata wrote:Be yourself, and not too much coffee.

Definitely this. Don't have coffee if at all possible. I'm a huge coffee drinker but you'll already be hyped from the experience and coffee can overhype you and cause you to ramble

TLSModBot

Diamond

Postby TLSModBot » Mon Feb 27, 2017 8:54 am

I never found "just don't be nervous" to be particularly helpful. What worked for me is to translate that energy into something positive rather than just try to suppress it.

If it's the job of your dreams, then it means any (or ideally all) of the following: an interesting/fun job, one that will advance your career, and/or one you think you'll be good at. Talk about that: channel any nervousness into enthusiasm and, if it's controlled and informed enthusiasm, it'll reflect positively on you.

Return to “Legal Employment�