How long did you as a lateral take to study for 2nd bar?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How long did you as a lateral take to study for 2nd bar?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:14 pm

2nd year switching markets. New V100 firm will give me 2 weeks off to study for the bar, already took in July 2015 the NYC bar, will I be able to pull off the new bar in 2 weeks or should I plan on studying ALOT while working?

koalatriste

Bronze

Re: How long did you as a lateral take to study for 2nd bar?

Postby koalatriste » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2nd year switching markets. New V100 firm will give me 2 weeks off to study for the bar, already took in July 2015 the NYC bar, will I be able to pull off the new bar in 2 weeks or should I plan on studying ALOT while working?

I had 3 weeks off to study for the California bar about 2.5 years after passing the NY bar. Was too busy with billable work to study before the 3 weeks off. Those 3 weeks were intensely miserable, but I passed. Several other laterals at my firm (V10) who also only studied during those 3 weeks off failed. A few people were able to take a week or two of vacation or unpaid leave to supplement what the firm gave them and all of those folks passed. FWIW, Fenwick and WSGR both give 6 weeks paid leave to study for the CA bar.

IMO, unless you're in a state with a ridiculously high pass rate (e.g., Mass or Illinois), 2 weeks is not enough. Power move seems to be starting at your lateral firm like a month and a half before the bar exam - folks who started in January and were then taking the February bar got basically zero work in January and were able to study just like during the workday throughout January.

Anonymous User

Re: How long did you as a lateral take to study for 2nd bar?

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:01 pm

Awaiting results from February. I was given two weeks off and I'm nervous about passing.

Before my time off I began studying before work (5am) and would continue studying afterwards until midnight. If your practice is litigation heavy, you may be okay; however biglaw Corp may make it a steep relearning curve for Evidence, Crimson, CivPro if you aren't disciplined.

Return to “Legal Employment�