Do ties matter after getting an SA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do ties matter after getting an SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:23 pm

I was lucky enough to get a 2l SA in a market where I really want to be long term. While I do have some minor ties to the market, I grew up somewhere else. Assuming this isn't a 100% offer firm, do I need to be cautious when talking to people this summer about where I'm from? "Where are you from" is a pretty standard conversation starter, so I'm sure it will come up dozens of times over the summer. Am I ok to just talk about my hometown like I normally would, or do I need to subtly focus my answers on my connections to the market where the firm is? I'm just curious if ties to the market ever comes up when considering offers/no-offers, or if that is only a hurdle during the initial callback?

I think I know the answer, but I can't help the pre-SA anxiety from creeping in!

(Please don't quote)

Anonymous User

Re: Do ties matter after getting an SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:03 pm

Not op.. I'm in the same boat as you w/ my 2L SA, but I can't imagine it matters since the firm has given you the SA offer...the SA offer, to me, shows that you expressed an interest in the city where the firm is and the recruiters believe you so they don't think you're a flight risk

webcammie

New

Postby webcammie » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:11 pm

Big law senior associate here.

No; ties do not matter. And shirt ties also don't matter. Be yourself and be proud of where you come from. You got the position because of your grades/school/resume. We could give a rat ass if you're from Alaska or the Netherlands.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:54 pm

"Let's get neurotic and make a list of all the non-work related things that could go wrong during a SA and make a thread about it."

star fox

Diamond

Postby star fox » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:59 pm

Lie Lie Lie. I would research the area extensively so you can make up lies about what street you grew up on, what schools you attended, what parks you used to play at, where your favorite place to get a hot dog was, etc. You might want to consider using a fake name as well just to be safe.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:32 pm

webcammie wrote:Big law senior associate here.

No; ties do not matter. And shirt ties also don't matter. Be yourself and be proud of where you come from. You got the position because of your grades/school/resume. We could give a rat ass if you're from Alaska or the Netherlands.

Thanks for the response. So when the firm meets to decide full-time offers, do they just consider work product, personality/fit, and grades?

JenDarby

Diamond

Postby JenDarby » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:45 am

RaceJudicata wrote:"Let's get neurotic and make a list of all the non-work related things that could go wrong during a SA and make a thread about it."

but I'm nervous

please don't quote

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Postby Abbie Doobie » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:33 pm

no they don't matter except on days you plan on being in court

Return to “Legal Employment�