Small Market Job---Miss Home Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Small Market Job---Miss Home

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:58 pm

In my desperation for a job out of LS, I took a job in a small secondary market near where I went to law school.

I like my job a lot, I'm paid fine, and the people here are cool. But my family is 500 miles away. I haven't really made this new town into a home yet in the 2 years I've been at my job despite efforts to socialize. There just isn't a ton of people or things to do.

Not asking for a tear jerk, here is what I'm debating: My firm stuck their neck out for me when they hired me. Small firms are obviously hesitant to hire people out of LS who are not from their area. They've been diligently training me, and I'm just now starting to reap profits for them. I could have a job lined up in my home area (a big city area) if I wanted to, but I feel obligated to stay here, to pay back the time and resources the firm put into me.

Is this wrong? Should I try sticking it out another year or two? Suggestions and thoughts are welcome.

los blancos

Platinum

Re: Small Market Job---Miss Home

Post by los blancos » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:59 pm

I don't think you owe anyone anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:38 pm

los blancos wrote:I don't think you owe anyone anything.
OP here: Maybe I'm being too much of a pushover, but I just don't want my firm to feel like I put one over on them. Maybe I'm overthinking this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:03 pm

Not OP.

I understand how you can feel this way -- however, you gotta remember this is your life to live, and that the firm is a business and will be just fine without you. Don't stay somewhere you don't want to be just because you think you owe the "firm" something; it's you life, do what makes you more happy.

dabigchina

Gold

Post by dabigchina » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
OP here: Maybe I'm being too much of a pushover, but I just don't want my firm to feel like I put one over on them. Maybe I'm overthinking this.
Your firm wouldn't mind firing you if they needed to.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jchiles

Silver

Post by jchiles » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:50 pm

if you're a good associate who they like working with and who is making money for them they'll be sad to see you go but you aren't pulling one over on them by leaving now or two years from now.

You don't owe them anything, you made them money for the past two years and staff turnover is just part of running a business. Better to get back to where you want to live now and start building a reputation there then keep putting time in where you don't see a future.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:03 am

dabigchina wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Your firm wouldn't mind firing you if they needed to.
This is a small firm, so let's not paint with such a broad brush. But OP, it's your life. You have to do what's best for you. I'm sure the people at the firm will understand, especially if they like you. If you're not happy, do what it takes to make yourself happy. Just keep in mind that there's an opportunity cost to every decision.

AVBucks4239

Silver

Post by AVBucks4239 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:In my desperation for a job out of LS, I took a job in a small secondary market near where I went to law school.

I like my job a lot, I'm paid fine, and the people here are cool. But my family is 500 miles away. I haven't really made this new town into a home yet in the 2 years I've been at my job despite efforts to socialize. There just isn't a ton of people or things to do.

Not asking for a tear jerk, here is what I'm debating: My firm stuck their neck out for me when they hired me. Small firms are obviously hesitant to hire people out of LS who are not from their area. They've been diligently training me, and I'm just now starting to reap profits for them. I could have a job lined up in my home area (a big city area) if I wanted to, but I feel obligated to stay here, to pay back the time and resources the firm put into me.

Is this wrong? Should I try sticking it out another year or two? Suggestions and thoughts are welcome.
Edit...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:15 am

OP here: Thanks for the feedback peeps. I'll have to continue to think about this.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”