Small Market Job---Miss Home

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User
Posts: 327366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Small Market Job---Miss Home

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:58 pm

In my desperation for a job out of LS, I took a job in a small secondary market near where I went to law school.

I like my job a lot, I'm paid fine, and the people here are cool. But my family is 500 miles away. I haven't really made this new town into a home yet in the 2 years I've been at my job despite efforts to socialize. There just isn't a ton of people or things to do.

Not asking for a tear jerk, here is what I'm debating: My firm stuck their neck out for me when they hired me. Small firms are obviously hesitant to hire people out of LS who are not from their area. They've been diligently training me, and I'm just now starting to reap profits for them. I could have a job lined up in my home area (a big city area) if I wanted to, but I feel obligated to stay here, to pay back the time and resources the firm put into me.

Is this wrong? Should I try sticking it out another year or two? Suggestions and thoughts are welcome.

User avatar
los blancos

Platinum
Posts: 8397
Joined: Mon Apr 21, 2008 4:18 pm

Re: Small Market Job---Miss Home

Postby los blancos » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:59 pm

I don't think you owe anyone anything.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Small Market Job---Miss Home

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:38 pm

los blancos wrote:I don't think you owe anyone anything.


OP here: Maybe I'm being too much of a pushover, but I just don't want my firm to feel like I put one over on them. Maybe I'm overthinking this.

Anonymous User
Posts: 327366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Small Market Job---Miss Home

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:03 pm

Not OP.

I understand how you can feel this way -- however, you gotta remember this is your life to live, and that the firm is a business and will be just fine without you. Don't stay somewhere you don't want to be just because you think you owe the "firm" something; it's you life, do what makes you more happy.

dabigchina

Silver
Posts: 1429
Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:22 am

Re: Small Market Job---Miss Home

Postby dabigchina » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
los blancos wrote:I don't think you owe anyone anything.


OP here: Maybe I'm being too much of a pushover, but I just don't want my firm to feel like I put one over on them. Maybe I'm overthinking this.

Your firm wouldn't mind firing you if they needed to.

User avatar
jchiles

Silver
Posts: 1267
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:49 pm

Re: Small Market Job---Miss Home

Postby jchiles » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:50 pm

if you're a good associate who they like working with and who is making money for them they'll be sad to see you go but you aren't pulling one over on them by leaving now or two years from now.

You don't owe them anything, you made them money for the past two years and staff turnover is just part of running a business. Better to get back to where you want to live now and start building a reputation there then keep putting time in where you don't see a future.

lavarman84

Platinum
Posts: 7726
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 5:01 pm

Re: Small Market Job---Miss Home

Postby lavarman84 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 12:03 am

dabigchina wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
los blancos wrote:I don't think you owe anyone anything.


OP here: Maybe I'm being too much of a pushover, but I just don't want my firm to feel like I put one over on them. Maybe I'm overthinking this.

Your firm wouldn't mind firing you if they needed to.


This is a small firm, so let's not paint with such a broad brush. But OP, it's your life. You have to do what's best for you. I'm sure the people at the firm will understand, especially if they like you. If you're not happy, do what it takes to make yourself happy. Just keep in mind that there's an opportunity cost to every decision.

User avatar
AVBucks4239

Silver
Posts: 958
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: Small Market Job---Miss Home

Postby AVBucks4239 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:In my desperation for a job out of LS, I took a job in a small secondary market near where I went to law school.

I like my job a lot, I'm paid fine, and the people here are cool. But my family is 500 miles away. I haven't really made this new town into a home yet in the 2 years I've been at my job despite efforts to socialize. There just isn't a ton of people or things to do.

Not asking for a tear jerk, here is what I'm debating: My firm stuck their neck out for me when they hired me. Small firms are obviously hesitant to hire people out of LS who are not from their area. They've been diligently training me, and I'm just now starting to reap profits for them. I could have a job lined up in my home area (a big city area) if I wanted to, but I feel obligated to stay here, to pay back the time and resources the firm put into me.

Is this wrong? Should I try sticking it out another year or two? Suggestions and thoughts are welcome.


Edit...

Anonymous User
Posts: 327366
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Small Market Job---Miss Home

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:15 am

OP here: Thanks for the feedback peeps. I'll have to continue to think about this.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.