Huge pay cut to go in-house

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
almondjoy

Bronze

Re: Huge pay cut to go in-house

Postby almondjoy » Mon May 01, 2017 3:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all- OP here.

Thanks again for your advice and lively discussion regarding staying at big law or going in house. As you all know, I decided to go in house and after several months I can definitely say that I do not regret it one bit. I'm much happier and my family is also very happy as well. So here are my observations for anyone who's interested.

Location/company: Bay Area huge Fortune 500 tech company; previously at big law firm in Bay Area for 6 years (ie 7th year IP associate).
Base compensation: I took a paycut to go in house, but surprisingly after taxes, health insurance premiums, 401k match, it's really only a 15% reduction in base, so not bad at all (I make around $200k in house).
Bonus: I'm supposed to get 20% but haven't receive it yet since I just started so can't comment on this.
Hours: I come in around 8:45-9:30 and leave around 5:30-5:45. There was only one day where I left at 6. And on Fridays I leave at 5 pm or earlier. I only had to work from home twice for a few hours and that was because I just started so the learning curve was pretty steep. Have not worked on weekends.
Work: I love the work! I'm an IP litigator by training but now I don't do any of that. I'm now a generalist so I take care of everything including reviewing contracts, training, taking care of random legal issues that come up.
Workload: no billable hours! I'm actually very busy with tons of meeting but my days go by pretty quickly and I take time to eat lunch now with coworkers and not worry about not billing. I also enjoy the rare downtime I have and again not have to worry about billing my hours.

Let me know if you have any questions.

This is the pinnacle

LoganCouture

Gold

Postby LoganCouture » Mon May 01, 2017 3:39 pm

thanks OP!
Last edited by LoganCouture on Mon May 01, 2017 4:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 01, 2017 3:39 pm

Thanks again for your advice and lively discussion regarding staying at big law or going in house. As you all know, I decided to go in house and after several months I can definitely say that I do not regret it one bit. I'm much happier and my family is also very happy as well. So here are my observations for anyone who's interested.

Location/company: Bay Area huge Fortune 500 tech company; previously at big law firm in Bay Area for 6 years (ie 7th year IP associate).
Base compensation: I took a paycut to go in house, but surprisingly after taxes, health insurance premiums, 401k match, it's really only a 15% reduction in base, so not bad at all (I make around $200k in house).
Bonus: I'm supposed to get 20% but haven't receive it yet since I just started so can't comment on this.
Hours: I come in around 8:45-9:30 and leave around 5:30-5:45. There was only one day where I left at 6. And on Fridays I leave at 5 pm or earlier. I only had to work from home twice for a few hours and that was because I just started so the learning curve was pretty steep. Have not worked on weekends.
Work: I love the work! I'm an IP litigator by training but now I don't do any of that. I'm now a generalist so I take care of everything including reviewing contracts, training, taking care of random legal issues that come up.
Workload: no billable hours! I'm actually very busy with tons of meeting but my days go by pretty quickly and I take time to eat lunch now with coworkers and not worry about not billing. I also enjoy the rare downtime I have and again not have to worry about billing my hours.

How do you find gigs like this. I have been using laterally, but everything just looks terrible.

Jchance

Silver

Postby Jchance » Mon May 01, 2017 3:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I think 6-8 years is the right time to leave as an IP litigator.

Why is that?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 01, 2017 3:52 pm

1) if you're a corporate associate, I would say around 3-4 years is the right time to leave...this is based on my corporate colleagues who left to work inhouse;
2) a client I was working for really liked me and asked me to apply for the job. So I wasn't looking to leave but when I got the offer, I couldn't say no especially because I always wanted to go in house. This is why it's so important to find a firm who works for companies that you like. Wanna go in house at google? Work for a firm that does tons of work for google.
3) my advice to those who want to leave big law: look at your network of inhouse attorneys. Ask them how they landed their job. Also your firm can be a great resource. Firms have an up or out policy, but they would prefer if their associates go to a client for potential business development. So ask to do a secondment (that's how my friend got his sweet in house gig). And depending on how comfortable you are, you can drop hints with your partner mentors who you trust that in house might be of interest to you. That's what I did--I told partners I trusted and clients alike...but that's more risky so YMMV.
4) 6-8 years for litigator because 1) not many positions available for litigator; 2) you need experience to be able to manage outside counsel and do the day-to-day job. That is, you need a solid legal foundation and you can't really have that with just a few years of experience. Most companies only want associates with 5+ years of experience.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon May 01, 2017 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon May 01, 2017 3:56 pm

Congrats! I made a similar move to you, with similar results, and it felt so good. Glad you took the dive.

Return to “Legal Employment?