Career Path for Becoming an AUSA in a Competitive District

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Career Path for Becoming an AUSA in a Competitive District

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:14 pm

Can anyone shed some light on the typical paths people take to becoming AUSAs in competitive districts? On this board I have read vastly differing required qualifications and time-in-biglaw/trial-experience requirements for such a position.

Me currently: T20 grad (top 1-2%) --> d.ct. clerkship (active, competitive district) --> V10 biglaw (~1 yr, competitive city) --> 9th Cir. clerkship (active, non-feeder, competitive city) --> ??? --> AUSA

Am I realistically in a good position to get an AUSA spot in a competitive city/district (like CD/ND Cal) sometime down the road? What would the "???" portion of my career path need to look like? Appreciate any input/constructive criticism. Feel free to be brutally honest.

Anonymous User

Re: Career Path for Becoming an AUSA in a Competitive District

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:Can anyone shed some light on the typical paths people take to becoming AUSAs in competitive districts? On this board I have read vastly differing required qualifications and time-in-biglaw/trial-experience requirements for such a position.

Me currently: T20 grad (top 1-2%) --> d.ct. clerkship (active, competitive district) --> V10 biglaw (~1 yr, competitive city) --> 9th Cir. clerkship (active, non-feeder, competitive city) --> ??? --> AUSA

Am I realistically in a good position to get an AUSA spot in a competitive city/district (like CD/ND Cal) sometime down the road? What would the "???" portion of my career path need to look like? Appreciate any input/constructive criticism. Feel free to be brutally honest.

Yes, you could become an AUSA, but there's no guarantee of CDcal or NDcal obviously because they have similar candidates applying. But as long as you get some good litigation experience and have a coherent narrative for why you want to be an AUSA, then you should be a very competitive candidate to become an AUSA somewhere in the country and have a good shot at an elite district.

Anonymous User

Re: Career Path for Becoming an AUSA in a Competitive District

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 26, 2017 11:48 am

For NDCA specifically, and many USAOs generally, it's helpful if you've interned at the office during school. Your ??? is probably best served by spending some time at MTO Hueston or Keker.

Return to “Legal Employment�