Anyone knows salary ranges for startup inhouse counsel?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Anyone knows salary ranges for startup inhouse counsel?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:38 pm

Big cities like NYC, SF, LA, Chicago..

I know that it varies but there is a pattern or range for this type of jobs. Anyone knows any anecdotes?

snowball2

Bronze

Re: Anyone knows salary ranges for startup inhouse counsel?

Postby snowball2 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Big cities like NYC, SF, LA, Chicago..

I know that it varies but there is a pattern or range for this type of jobs. Anyone knows any anecdotes?

How much value are you adding? If you can be their go-to guy and help them jump necessary hurdles from day 1 then you can likely name your price, if you're inexperienced and coming on board with the expectation that this can develop into a long-term job then I'm guessing it's what they're willing to pay. I have a cousin in SFO who joined a startup as GC with about 10 years experience, initially in mid-law then he opened up his own shop, expanded it and then sold it. He had as much value to the startup for his business knowledge as his legal knowledge.

merde_happens

New

Re: Anyone knows salary ranges for startup inhouse counsel?

Postby merde_happens » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:47 pm

This is so dependent on a number of factors that it's really hard to say. Like the poster above said, part of it will come down to your experience and what you bring to the table. Another factor is how early-stage we're talking. If you're one of the first employees, then your salary might not be amazing but you're going to get fantastic equity. If we're talking a more established, gone through multiple rounds of funding, >500 employee "start-up" then you're probably going to see higher base salary with lower amounts of equity.

My anecdotes are mostly based on friends who are engineers in SV, but most people I've known who went to work for a start-up didn't do it for the base salary. Sure, you have to pay enough to attract top talent as a start-up company (and many of them I've seen will offer something that you'd be comfortable living on in the area, even if it's not 100% competitive with what established companies may offer), but they offer a lot of intangibles such that people are willing to take a pay cut. E.g. ability to be more fully involved with all aspects of the business; excitement of seeing a company grow; potential $$$$$ equity payouts.

Return to “Legal Employment�