How does the end of 1L SA work?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How does the end of 1L SA work?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:17 pm

Sorry if this is a dumb Q - I'm confused about offers/OCI/etc.

I just got a 1L SA and I know that it's only for this summer. They say they'll extend an offer at the end of the summer - but I know that OCI is also at the end of the summer. Does that mean I will have their offer through the end of OCI? In other words, will I be able to go through OCI, go through CBs, (hopefully) get a few offers, and then pick? How do these things normally work?

I tried asking around my school but very few of the people I know have had the opportunity to take a 1L SA, so I thought I'd ask on here. Thanks all!

Anonymous User

Re: How does the end of 1L SA work?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:04 pm

Your intuition is correct. They will give you an offer, I think you have 28 days or so to accept, you do OCI, you choose.

Things may get a little awkward with certain people in your firm. I was at a firm where pretty much everyone knew I would doing OCI and probably go elsewhere, and some people made it uncomfortable at firms events. But w/e, enjoy your extra 30k.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Your intuition is correct. They will give you an offer, I think you have 28 days or so to accept, you do OCI, you choose.

Things may get a little awkward with certain people in your firm. I was at a firm where pretty much everyone knew I would doing OCI and probably go elsewhere, and some people made it uncomfortable at firms events. But w/e, enjoy your extra 30k.

Does it matter w/r/t recommendations or references? Do firms at OCI care about those?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Your intuition is correct. They will give you an offer, I think you have 28 days or so to accept, you do OCI, you choose.

Does it matter w/r/t recommendations or references? Do firms at OCI care about those?

Some firms will supposedly ask if you got an offer, although only one did for me (Skadden lol). I'm doing my paperwork for my 2L SA now and they say they will call and make sure I left on good terms.

I got all freaked out prior to my 1L summer because I was afraid if I fucked up it would screw me for OCI. I should not have worried. Instead I got paid a shit load of money and had a ton of free fun while doing very little work. I also made great connections, my partner mentor there actually helped me choose between firms.

Don't sweat this. Just enjoy your money and have fun.

Wacked Wombat

New

Postby Wacked Wombat » Thu Feb 23, 2017 8:32 am

And the 28 days doesn't necessarily start when you get the offer. You'll have to review the guidelines, but (and I can't remember which) the 28 days doesn't start until either mid-August or on your school's first day of OCI. I knew of at least one person who received an offer after mass mailing early and had close to 6 weeks to continue looking after receiving the offer.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:37 am

Anonymous User wrote: I got all freaked out prior to my 1L summer because I was afraid if I fucked up it would screw me for OCI. I should not have worried. Instead I got paid a shit load of money and had a ton of free fun while doing very little work. I also made great connections, my partner mentor there actually helped me choose between firms.

This is legit me right now. Thank you very much for all of your help!

Wacked Wombat wrote:And the 28 days doesn't necessarily start when you get the offer. You'll have to review the guidelines, but (and I can't remember which) the 28 days doesn't start until either mid-August or on your school's first day of OCI. I knew of at least one person who received an offer after mass mailing early and had close to 6 weeks to continue looking after receiving the offer.

Super helpful. Thank you. I'll look at the guidelines.

Return to “Legal Employment�