Skadden

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Skadden

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:21 pm

How difficult is it to get Skadden NYC out of Cornell?

koalatriste

Bronze

Re: Skadden

Postby koalatriste » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:30 pm

with social skills like these, the sky is the limit.

Lacepiece23

Silver

Postby Lacepiece23 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:31 pm

koalatriste wrote:with social skills like these, the sky is the limit.

From what I remember top 25% for non-urms and good interviewers. Skadden wasn't a very popular choice when I was there for whatever reason.

HillandHollow

New

Postby HillandHollow » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:47 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How difficult is it to get Skadden NYC out of Cornell?

https://www.skadden.com/professionals?L ... w_all=true

You can search their site for Cornell alums in NYC. Might consider reaching out to some?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:15 pm

I have literally never heard anything good about Aladdin NYC. Why are you targeting them specifically

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I have literally never heard anything good about Aladdin NYC. Why are you targeting them specifically

Maybe OP just wants to see a whole new world of work.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:11 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I have literally never heard anything good about Aladdin NYC. Why are you targeting them specifically

Maybe OP wants #1. In a ranking of the worst firms to work for, Skadden, Cravath, and S&C are #1, 2, and 3. Left off Wachtell because it pays.

runinthefront

Gold

Postby runinthefront » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How difficult is it to get Skadden NYC out of Cornell?

If you're an 0L, this is a bad question to ask. If you're a 1L, you'd be better off asking a 2L or 3L, but career services will send you information regarding firms and grade trends in a few weeks anyway, so this question is really premature.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deepseapartners

Bronze

Postby deepseapartners » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:03 pm

OP if you are a 1L, you'll get more AJF information soon, but generally I'd agree that top 25% + outgoing personality is at least enough for a callback.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:15 pm

Really interested in M&A every lawyer I've spoken to has advised me that Skadden is the best place for it. I understand that Skadden is rough, but is it really that much worse than other top firms?

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Really interested in M&A every lawyer I've spoken to has advised me that Skadden is the best place for it. I understand that Skadden is rough, but is it really that much worse than other top firms?

All the NYC V10s are sweatshops. Skadden tends to be on the broier end of the spectrum (is what I've always heard).

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:43 pm

For fashion focused big law strivers, Skadden is THE place to be.

Wild Card

Bronze

Postby Wild Card » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:32 pm

dabigchina

Silver

Postby dabigchina » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:34 pm

the plot thickens.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:49 am

For whatever reason Skadden and Cornell just dont love each other. They dont give many callbacks or offers, and Cornell kids just dont accept their offers. IMHO, with top 25% grades and good interviewing, you have a better shot at Cravath/Davis Polk than Skadden.

nealric

Postby nealric » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:24 am

Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, if you want to do public company mergers, Skadden is where you can do a lot of them. But think about why. Skadden can do F500 mergers because they can throw dozens of bodies at them. They have legions of eager first years who are willing and able to do signature pages and put binders together at 3AM. My old firm used to sometimes lose out on work to them because we had 5 lawyers available to staff a deal and Skadden had 25 ready to go. I'm sure the big public company M&A practice gets more interesting by the time you are a partner, but your chances are slim of ever getting there. Even then, it's the executives and bankers who call the shots. Which leads to exit options- I've not seen much evidence that putting yourself through the wringer by going there is going to lead to much better options than more focused practices. I would think you would be better off doing PE work in a highly regarded firm that isn't quite so large, where you can do substantive work for clients who know who you are.

As for whether Skadden is worse than its peer firms, that's obviously a matter of opinion. Any large NYC M&A practice is going to be a sweat shop to one degree or another.

Platinum

Postby 2014 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:09 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:

Maybe OP wants #1. In a ranking of the worst firms to work for, Skadden, Cravath, and S&C are #1, 2, and 3. Left off Wachtell because it pays.

This information is TERRIBLY SENSITIVE, thank GOD you posted anon

Toubro

Bronze

Postby Toubro » Thu Feb 23, 2017 9:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:For whatever reason Skadden and Cornell just dont love each other. They dont give many callbacks or offers, and Cornell kids just dont accept their offers. IMHO, with top 25% grades and good interviewing, you have a better shot at Cravath/Davis Polk than Skadden.

From my year, everyone who received a Skadden C/B also received an offer. But only about 10% accepted.

daedalus2309

Bronze

Postby daedalus2309 » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:46 am

nealric wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yeah, if you want to do public company mergers, Skadden is where you can do a lot of them. But think about why. Skadden can do F500 mergers because they can throw dozens of bodies at them. They have legions of eager first years who are willing and able to do signature pages and put binders together at 3AM. My old firm used to sometimes lose out on work to them because we had 5 lawyers available to staff a deal and Skadden had 25 ready to go. I'm sure the big public company M&A practice gets more interesting by the time you are a partner, but your chances are slim of ever getting there. Even then, it's the executives and bankers who call the shots. Which leads to exit options- I've not seen much evidence that putting yourself through the wringer by going there is going to lead to much better options than more focused practices. I would think you would be better off doing PE work in a highly regarded firm that isn't quite so large, where you can do substantive work for clients who know who you are.

As for whether Skadden is worse than its peer firms, that's obviously a matter of opinion. Any large NYC M&A practice is going to be a sweat shop to one degree or another.

Thank you for being a consistently solid contributor.

Return to “Legal Employment�