Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Your boss is

Okay
25
38%
Terrible
11
17%
Great
30
45%
 
Total votes: 66

Anonymous User
Posts: 313066
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:55 am

I know "enjoy" is probably the wrong word, but are you okay/tolerate your boss? I want to know if most ppl work with decent bosses.

Whether you like your boss or not, can this single issue be a determining factor for you to stay/leave your firm?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313066
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:25 am

My boss yells and screams daily. She's probably the most miserable person I've ever worked with. She's a rainmaker, too, which makes her untouchable in the biglaw world.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313066
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:22 pm

Anonymous User wrote:My boss yells and screams daily. She's probably the most miserable person I've ever worked with. She's a rainmaker, too, which makes her untouchable in the biglaw world.


What are you doing to alleviate that kind of daily beating? Sounds like it isnt bad enough to make you want to leave?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313066
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:My boss yells and screams daily. She's probably the most miserable person I've ever worked with. She's a rainmaker, too, which makes her untouchable in the biglaw world.


What are you doing to alleviate that kind of daily beating? Sounds like it isnt bad enough to make you want to leave?


I go home and apply for new jobs... seriously. I tried to wait it out for my one year mark but decided to start sending out resumes a week ago.

1styearlateral

Silver
Posts: 833
Joined: Wed Mar 30, 2016 3:55 pm

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby 1styearlateral » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:07 pm

Can someone explain why it matters if a partner yells at you? I've gotten yelled at before, but I don't lose sight of the fact that a) I'm junior, b) I should focus on what I need to do to improve/not make the same mistakes, and c) the partner has already forgotten about why he/she was yelling. Like seriously, who cares? IMO, the screamers are really only intolerable when you let them get to you.

User avatar
Pokemon

Gold
Posts: 3527
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:58 pm

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby Pokemon » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:35 pm

1styearlateral wrote:Can someone explain why it matters if a partner yells at you? I've gotten yelled at before, but I don't lose sight of the fact that a) I'm junior, b) I should focus on what I need to do to improve/not make the same mistakes, and c) the partner has already forgotten about why he/she was yelling. Like seriously, who cares? IMO, the screamers are really only intolerable when you let them get to you.



This is just dumb. Like seriously you cannot tell why being yelled at can be depressing and demoralizing??

Anonymous User
Posts: 313066
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:36 pm

1styearlateral wrote:Can someone explain why it matters if a partner yells at you? I've gotten yelled at before, but I don't lose sight of the fact that a) I'm junior, b) I should focus on what I need to do to improve/not make the same mistakes, and c) the partner has already forgotten about why he/she was yelling. Like seriously, who cares? IMO, the screamers are really only intolerable when you let them get to you.


Well if your daily interaction involves yelling, name calling, and disrespecting, then it takes a toll on you after a few weeks. Who wants to work in a toxic environment...

User avatar
LaLiLuLeLo

Silver
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:54 am

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 6:53 pm

1styearlateral wrote:Can someone explain why it matters if a partner yells at you? I've gotten yelled at before, but I don't lose sight of the fact that a) I'm junior, b) I should focus on what I need to do to improve/not make the same mistakes, and c) the partner has already forgotten about why he/she was yelling. Like seriously, who cares? IMO, the screamers are really only intolerable when you let them get to you.


Because you should have an ounce of self respect.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313066
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:26 pm

Before law school encountered a lot of "screamers" in athletics. Haven't had one in law so far, but I think being screamed at in athletics DOES actually help you prepare for irrational people in your career FWIW. Basically you just don't pay attention to what they're screaming about, just say you messed up, and try not to make the mistake again. Easier said then done and IMO screaming should have no place in a workplace.

lawhopeful100

Bronze
Posts: 374
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:28 pm

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby lawhopeful100 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:32 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:Can someone explain why it matters if a partner yells at you? I've gotten yelled at before, but I don't lose sight of the fact that a) I'm junior, b) I should focus on what I need to do to improve/not make the same mistakes, and c) the partner has already forgotten about why he/she was yelling. Like seriously, who cares? IMO, the screamers are really only intolerable when you let them get to you.


Because you should have an ounce of self respect.

If you're getting yelled at for something not your fault I think this applies. Otherwise i kinda agree the attitude to have is to shrug it off and not let it bother you. As long as the check clears every week, who cares. I try not to be that emotionally invested in work.

User avatar
LaLiLuLeLo

Silver
Posts: 610
Joined: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:54 am

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:35 pm

lawhopeful100 wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:Can someone explain why it matters if a partner yells at you? I've gotten yelled at before, but I don't lose sight of the fact that a) I'm junior, b) I should focus on what I need to do to improve/not make the same mistakes, and c) the partner has already forgotten about why he/she was yelling. Like seriously, who cares? IMO, the screamers are really only intolerable when you let them get to you.


Because you should have an ounce of self respect.

If you're getting yelled at for something not your fault I think this applies. Otherwise i kinda agree the attitude to have is to shrug it off and not let it bother you. As long as the check clears every week, who cares. I try not to be that emotionally invested in work.


Getting paid doesn't mean you should just accept not being treated like human being. Nobody should tolerate being screamed at and insulted by anyone, least of all your boss. Even if you screw up you are entitled to some basic level of respect and respectful interaction.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:37 pm

I think it's great if someone doesn't mind being yelled at, and I agree that usually you shouldn't take it personally. I think it's pretty human not to enjoy it, though.

User avatar
MKC

Diamond
Posts: 16246
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby MKC » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:40 pm

LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
lawhopeful100 wrote:
LaLiLuLeLo wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:Can someone explain why it matters if a partner yells at you? I've gotten yelled at before, but I don't lose sight of the fact that a) I'm junior, b) I should focus on what I need to do to improve/not make the same mistakes, and c) the partner has already forgotten about why he/she was yelling. Like seriously, who cares? IMO, the screamers are really only intolerable when you let them get to you.


Because you should have an ounce of self respect.

If you're getting yelled at for something not your fault I think this applies. Otherwise i kinda agree the attitude to have is to shrug it off and not let it bother you. As long as the check clears every week, who cares. I try not to be that emotionally invested in work.


Getting paid doesn't mean you should just accept not being treated like human being. Nobody should tolerate being screamed at and insulted by anyone, least of all your boss. Even if you screw up you are entitled to some basic level of respect and respectful interaction.


I've had both kinds of bosses and the kind that just acts disappointed in you is definitely worse than a screamer.

Pathern: (Exaggerated sigh) Are you really telling me that this is your best? I know you're a smart guy, and this work just doesn't reflect that. I want to make sure you have everything you need to be successful in the future. What can I do to make sure that happens?

Me: (Slits wrists)
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
A. Nony Mouse

Diamond
Posts: 29317
Joined: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:51 am

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby A. Nony Mouse » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:43 pm

:lol: yes, the disappointed parent act is killer.

User avatar
MKC

Diamond
Posts: 16246
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:18 am

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby MKC » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:47 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote::lol: yes, the disappointed parent act is killer.


I will be forever susceptible to it too. I can completely tune out someone who is clearly just freaking out but will calm down later, but this... this is a different story.
Last edited by MKC on Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluem_11

Bronze
Posts: 201
Joined: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:03 pm

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby Bluem_11 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:04 pm

1styearlateral wrote:Can someone explain why it matters if a partner yells at you? I've gotten yelled at before, but I don't lose sight of the fact that a) I'm junior, b) I should focus on what I need to do to improve/not make the same mistakes, and c) the partner has already forgotten about why he/she was yelling. Like seriously, who cares? IMO, the screamers are really only intolerable when you let them get to you.


Because 1) You should demand respect of yourself by yourself and other and 2) In a less principle-point, if you can't stick up for yourself, people walk over you.

If I legitimately fuck up, and I cause a major issue in the firm, ya I get why someone's fuse may blow. But I've told a partner who yelled at me over the little-est thing to please take it down a notch unless warranted while I was a first year (obviously did it in a respectful tone and not immediately after the incident). Haven't gotten yelled at since.

Genius

Silver
Posts: 866
Joined: Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:19 am

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby Genius » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:07 pm

Wow only 28% terrible bosses. There is still hope in this field.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313066
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Before law school encountered a lot of "screamers" in athletics. Haven't had one in law so far, but I think being screamed at in athletics DOES actually help you prepare for irrational people in your career FWIW. Basically you just don't pay attention to what they're screaming about, just say you messed up, and try not to make the mistake again. Easier said then done and IMO screaming should have no place in a workplace.


+1 I played college baseball and after that, and if someone doesn't yell at me when I screw up I assume they don't care and then I'm REALLY fucked because I'll be fired soon.

Anonymous User
Posts: 313066
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:20 pm

Bluem_11 wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:Can someone explain why it matters if a partner yells at you? I've gotten yelled at before, but I don't lose sight of the fact that a) I'm junior, b) I should focus on what I need to do to improve/not make the same mistakes, and c) the partner has already forgotten about why he/she was yelling. Like seriously, who cares? IMO, the screamers are really only intolerable when you let them get to you.


Because 1) You should demand respect of yourself by yourself and other and 2) In a less principle-point, if you can't stick up for yourself, people walk over you.

If I legitimately fuck up, and I cause a major issue in the firm, ya I get why someone's fuse may blow. But I've told a partner who yelled at me over the little-est thing to please take it down a notch unless warranted while I was a first year (obviously did it in a respectful tone and not immediately after the incident). Haven't gotten yelled at since.


What did you say exactly and did the partner apologize?

User avatar
nunumaster

Silver
Posts: 915
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:11 am

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby nunumaster » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Bluem_11 wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:Can someone explain why it matters if a partner yells at you? I've gotten yelled at before, but I don't lose sight of the fact that a) I'm junior, b) I should focus on what I need to do to improve/not make the same mistakes, and c) the partner has already forgotten about why he/she was yelling. Like seriously, who cares? IMO, the screamers are really only intolerable when you let them get to you.


Because 1) You should demand respect of yourself by yourself and other and 2) In a less principle-point, if you can't stick up for yourself, people walk over you.

If I legitimately fuck up, and I cause a major issue in the firm, ya I get why someone's fuse may blow. But I've told a partner who yelled at me over the little-est thing to please take it down a notch unless warranted while I was a first year (obviously did it in a respectful tone and not immediately after the incident). Haven't gotten yelled at since.


What did you say exactly and did the partner apologize?

Anonymous User
Posts: 313066
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:02 pm

Genius wrote:Wow only 28% terrible bosses. There is still hope in this field.


After today I'd like to amend my vote to "terrible"...lol.

User avatar
zot1

Gold
Posts: 4474
Joined: Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:53 am

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby zot1 » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:14 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Genius wrote:Wow only 28% terrible bosses. There is still hope in this field.


After today I'd like to amend my vote to "terrible"...lol.


Now you gotta tell us the story.

sprezz

Bronze
Posts: 467
Joined: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:54 pm

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby sprezz » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Before law school encountered a lot of "screamers" in athletics. Haven't had one in law so far, but I think being screamed at in athletics DOES actually help you prepare for irrational people in your career FWIW. Basically you just don't pay attention to what they're screaming about, just say you messed up, and try not to make the mistake again. Easier said then done and IMO screaming should have no place in a workplace.

oh shit jay bilas is in the house!!

Anonymous User
Posts: 313066
Joined: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:32 am

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:11 pm

Most of my bosses are great, and I have no problems working late/ weekends for their cases. Occasionally, I get a bad one (thin client book, passive-agressive, trying to scare junior associates into prioritizing their projects) and it's always a relief to get away from them.

User avatar
TLSModBot

Diamond
Posts: 14842
Joined: Mon Oct 24, 2011 11:54 am

Re: Are you "okay" with your employer/boss?

Postby TLSModBot » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:22 pm

I feel weird because I am still loving my job although I'm only 6 months in so I guess we'll see.

I keep waiting for the other shoe to drop and everyone to suddenly switch to "we own you and you are the Firm's bitch so dance little monkey dance" mode but it's pretty great thus far.



Return to “Legal Employment�

Who is online

The online users are hidden on this forum.