In-house (quasi legal) in major market or best firm in smaller city

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

In-house (quasi legal) in major market or best firm in smaller city

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:02 am

I would really appreciate some advice.

Me: top 14 law school v50 firm major market. Work expirence 2 years at v50. I want to leave current place for a variety of unimportant to the discussion reasons

I have 2 options

1. A quasi buisness quasi legal role where I help analyze risk associated with m&a transactions. Pay is close to first year nyc market pay, a little under, generally a 9-630 gig. Technically I would be doing a job that does not require a JD and concerned about exit opportunities 5-10 years down the road if at some point I feel like i am not learning enough or I need to change cities of anything

2. V100 , best firm in smaller market . pay= Slightly under NYC market. Known to work NYC hours.

I don't neccesarily know exactly how I see my career 10-20 years down the road. Very aware if I have any inclination to be partner choose option 2. Don't know if I want to be working 60+ hours a week my whole life. But would like to be making (in a perfect world) ~200k down the road and will work hard enough to get there.

Any advice?

Anonymous User

Re: In-house (quasi legal) in major market or best firm in smaller city

Postby Anonymous User » Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:27 pm

NYC hours at below NYC compensation sounds pretty miserable, but depends on how much you want to be in the smaller city. Do you really want to be in the smaller city? I hope it is your hometown. Sounds more like a personal decision.

Don't have the knowledge to comment on the quasi legal role. Sounds humane, but not sure on the exit options there.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:12 am

Do you want to practice? Or be in a business role?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:07 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:Do you want to practice? Or be in a business role?

OP here: not sure, perhaps if i have room to grow and am marketable like I would be in Biglaw or to some extent, than yes. It is tough to know.

Return to “Legal Employment�