How quick to receive offer/rej after lateral interview?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How quick to receive offer/rej after lateral interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:21 pm

I had a lateral interview on Wed. AM for a firm in NYC and am slightly worried I haven't heard back yet after 48+ hours. I think the interview went well but really could not tell. I direct applied to this firm (no recruiter involved). The hiring partner told me before I left that they make decisions quickly.

Should I have heard back by now? How long does it usually take to hear back from a lateral interview? This was probably the only interview scheduled because I met with multiple partners (no associates) as my first interview.

Thanks!

Anonymous User

Re: How quick to receive offer/rej after lateral interview?

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:08 pm

I think the average is 2 weeks. When I lateraled, I got a couple offers within the first week, and one a month after the interview.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:16 pm

I lateraled from big law to big law. I kind of direct applied (a friend worked in the group and let me know when they had an opening, she passed on my resume and the recruiting coordinator reached out to me). I received an offer a week later. That said, I know the the firm made an offer to other people in other groups after one week and three weeks. Moral of the story is there's no standard timing.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:23 pm

Took 2 months from callback interview to offer for me. Small law (3 attorney firm)-->biglaw

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:37 pm

I guess the quick 1-2 day turnaround for NY firms I'm seeing on TLS is for SAs only - whew!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:34 pm

I think it really depends on need. If there is an immediate need then the process can go lightning fast!

The two biglaw lateral offers that I got call came within 1 week of the interview. From application to offer took like 2-3 weeks.

One firm I applied on Monday, got a screener for Wed, then they asked me to come in on Friday for an in person interview. Ended up getting an offer on the following Wed.

The other firm I got an offer to applied on Monday, got a screener Friday, asked me to come in for an in person on the following Friday. Got an offer the following Tuesday.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:45 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I had a lateral interview on Wed. AM for a firm in NYC and am slightly worried I haven't heard back yet after 48+ hours. I think the interview went well but really could not tell. I direct applied to this firm (no recruiter involved). The hiring partner told me before I left that they make decisions quickly.

Should I have heard back by now? How long does it usually take to hear back from a lateral interview? This was probably the only interview scheduled because I met with multiple partners (no associates) as my first interview.

Thanks!

I had a lateral offer extended almost 5 months post call back. You never know. They aren't on a schedule. However, most firms will let you know fairly quickly if you are a reject- if you haven't heard it is probably because they haven't decided.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:49 pm

When I did a round of lateral interviews last year, I heard back on offers / no offers about 1-2 days after the last callback for 4 firms. 1 firm took their time in giving me a callback interview at all (like 3 weeks) and I dropped them. One didn't offer or reject me post-callback before I had picked a different firm.

I used a pretty good recruiter who applied pressure on the firms and kept following up to get results. I also told the firms I was on an expedited time schedule. If I had told them I was just slowly interviewing and testing the waters, they'd probably have taken longer.

Genius

Silver

Postby Genius » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:37 pm

I interviewed 3 weeks ago. Sent the firm's recruiter an email 2 weeks after. Still no response after a week from the recruiter and no response from the interviewing partners.

Chances are I wont get it.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:08 pm

I am trying to lateral from a small-midsize firm to big law and interviewed at three firms in the past month. One dinged me after the second interview. One had me interview with 8 people in the first interview and I haven't heard anything in 2 weeks. One had me come in for two full round interviews with over 15 people total and asked for conflict check paperwork exactly one week ago today and radio silence. Somehow I got away with fitting all of these in without my work catching on, or so I think. I am going absolutely crazy waiting for some response.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:39 pm

Well, I'm the OP, and I ended up hearing on the 3rd business day after (which, because of a 3 day weekend, ended up being 6 days after the original interview). CB ~4 wks later (had been in continuous communication, just many scheduling conflicts). After a certain point I think it's ok for you to follow up.

Return to “Legal Employment�