Citi Compliance Program

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Citi Compliance Program

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:11 pm

Anyone also interviewing for the 2017 Citi Compliance Program?

martindale

New

Re: Citi Compliance Program

Postby martindale » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:43 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone also interviewing for the 2017 Citi Compliance Program?

Yes

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:27 pm

Do you guys know anything about this interview process?

kellyfrost

Platinum

Postby kellyfrost » Thu Feb 23, 2017 12:41 pm

I know people who work for Citi (not in compliance or legal) and they say it is a brutal place to work. Bad culture, not great pay, ect.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:25 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you guys know anything about this interview process?

+1. It looks like they re-posted the advertisement 2 weeks ago.

Other TLS discussions in recent years indicate they interview well into April/May. Not sure of the turnaround time, and what they look for (ie are grades as important as experience, school name, etc.). Seems like they have a strong affiliation with NYLS. Also looks like bar passage isn't necessarily required.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 3:49 pm

Interviewed last year but didn't make it past screener. Interviewed on this day one year ago.

Don't know about culture (since I didn't get an offer) but I spoke with some of the associates.

From what I remember (sorry if this is not completely accurate. It's been a while and this is second hand knowledge):
It's a 2 year program. They rotate you in 6 month intervals between departments.
Pay is low 100k, with 30k signing bonus.
After 2 years, if you get a full-time offer they make you "VP" of a dept. Sure it might be "title only" (as other threads suggest) but having VP of a Big Bank dept. on your resume within 2 years of starting your career has at least some value.

Don't know about hours. I hear you present to executives and heads of departments on a regular basis so they want someone who is presentable, knows how to speak in front of an audience, etc.

Regarding interview: it seemed like the interviewer was pretty serious about his/her job and career. Compliance was pretty important and making sure the company is compliant seemed to be pretty significant. To prepare, I took a course on Compliance at my law school (not necessary but I was already interested in Compliance), read up on compliance in headlines, made sure I understood the basics of Citi's compliance dept (headlines, news, scandals, etc.) and made sure I was familiar with the happenings of the front page of the WSJ.

Make sure you can articulate a good answer to "why compliance". Make sure you have at least some understanding of various types of regulation, etc.
There are different types of compliance (AML, Financial regulatory, etc.), so it would be helpful to have an understanding of these different types. If you must, go to the library and check out the Compliance book (if they have one) and skim through.

Note: Some of the people who got offers to this program had pretty impressive resumes/bios. Their resume/Linkedin is full of compliance stuff, including being a part of compliance clubs, writing papers on compliance and risk management, etc. So my guess is they look for someone who isn't just interviewing because they missed the biglaw boat.

Overall thought interview went well but didn't land an offer. Got an invitation to see if I was interested in their other offices (not sure if same program) but had to decline for personal reasons.

Bar passage is not necessary. Screener interview turnaround was pretty quick (1 week for a rejection, so callback might be sooner).

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 23, 2017 7:31 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Interviewed last year but didn't make it past screener. Interviewed on this day one year ago.

Don't know about culture (since I didn't get an offer) but I spoke with some of the associates.

From what I remember (sorry if this is not completely accurate. It's been a while and this is second hand knowledge):
It's a 2 year program. They rotate you in 6 month intervals between departments.
Pay is low 100k, with 30k signing bonus.
After 2 years, if you get a full-time offer they make you "VP" of a dept. Sure it might be "title only" (as other threads suggest) but having VP of a Big Bank dept. on your resume within 2 years of starting your career has at least some value.

Don't know about hours. I hear you present to executives and heads of departments on a regular basis so they want someone who is presentable, knows how to speak in front of an audience, etc.

Regarding interview: it seemed like the interviewer was pretty serious about his/her job and career. Compliance was pretty important and making sure the company is compliant seemed to be pretty significant. To prepare, I took a course on Compliance at my law school (not necessary but I was already interested in Compliance), read up on compliance in headlines, made sure I understood the basics of Citi's compliance dept (headlines, news, scandals, etc.) and made sure I was familiar with the happenings of the front page of the WSJ.

Make sure you can articulate a good answer to "why compliance". Make sure you have at least some understanding of various types of regulation, etc.
There are different types of compliance (AML, Financial regulatory, etc.), so it would be helpful to have an understanding of these different types. If you must, go to the library and check out the Compliance book (if they have one) and skim through.

Note: Some of the people who got offers to this program had pretty impressive resumes/bios. Their resume/Linkedin is full of compliance stuff, including being a part of compliance clubs, writing papers on compliance and risk management, etc. So my guess is they look for someone who isn't just interviewing because they missed the biglaw boat.

Overall thought interview went well but didn't land an offer. Got an invitation to see if I was interested in their other offices (not sure if same program) but had to decline for personal reasons.

Bar passage is not necessary. Screener interview turnaround was pretty quick (1 week for a rejection, so callback might be sooner).

I'm interviewing next week. Thanks for the info!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:24 am

Does anyone know if they are still reviewing submitted applications? Not sure if it's too late to apply.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:07 am

Anyone heard back after the interview?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard back after the interview?

They indicated that I would hear this week. Radio silence as of now. The Citi career website lists your status. Not sure if this is how they would choose to inform you.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Mar 02, 2017 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone heard back after the interview?

They indicated that I would hear this week. Radio silence as of now. The Citi career website lists your status. Not sure if this is how they would choose to inform you.

They are still accepting applications and haven't closed the job opening.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2017 3:40 pm

Has anyone heard anything?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 03, 2017 4:30 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Has anyone heard anything?

Nothing on my mind. I understand that this is how they operate though.

Doeydo42

New

Postby Doeydo42 » Sat Mar 04, 2017 10:15 am

Do folks know if any other banks have similar programs?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:02 am

Nope. Ugh.

ellewoodsNYC

New

Postby ellewoodsNYC » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:46 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Nope. Ugh.

Interview last week. Have not heard anything either even though the interviewer said I should hear back "pretty quickly." UGHHHHH

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 08, 2017 5:37 pm

ellewoodsNYC wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Nope. Ugh.

Interview last week. Have not heard anything either even though the interviewer said I should hear back "pretty quickly." UGHHHHH

Haven't heard anything...

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Mar 10, 2017 4:36 pm

Anything? Any rejections?

ellewoodsNYC

New

Postby ellewoodsNYC » Sat Mar 11, 2017 9:19 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anything? Any rejections?

Nothing...but expecting a rejection at this point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:22 am

ellewoodsNYC wrote:

Did you end up getting rejected? Still no word here, although the career services site lists my application status as "under consideration"

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:
ellewoodsNYC wrote:

Did you end up getting rejected? Still no word here, although the career services site lists my application status as "under consideration"

No word here either! I heard they conducted superday on Monday though.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 15, 2017 11:30 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ellewoodsNYC wrote:

What's your source?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 15, 2017 12:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ellewoodsNYC wrote:

Superday=callback?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
ellewoodsNYC wrote:

Superday=callback?

Anyone hear back?

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:41 pm

Has anyone gone on a second round interview? My school told me were supposed to hear back this week but no word yet.

Return to “Legal Employment�