Can I email a firm after OCI to say thank-you?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Can I email a firm after OCI to say thank-you?

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:28 pm

I wasn't given a timeline of the hiring process, but I really wanted to thank them for squeezing me into the interview process (I originally didn't have a spot but after talking to them, the lady decided to add me in). FYI: My interview was a little over a week ago.

So what is the general advice for emailing thank-yous for firms that you interview with.

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Can I email a firm after OCI to say thank-you?

Postby rpupkin » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:30 pm

If it would make you feel good to send a thank-you email to the recruiter, go ahead and do it. It won't affect the hiring process one way or the other.

By the way, because a week has past since your interview, you're well past any reasonable "thank you" window. The recruiter will probably just assume that what you're really after is an update on the status of your application. If that's what you're curious about, just ask directly.
Last edited by rpupkin on Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Slytherpuff

Platinum

Postby Slytherpuff » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:32 pm

I would say don't worry about it at this point. Emailing a thank you a week after the interview is a bit too late. Also, the general rule is that you don't need to send a thank you after a screener interview, you can send one after a callback, but it's not necessary in either situation and can hurt you more than help you. And if you send a thank you at all, it should be on the earlier side (preferably within a day or two of the interview).

The only situation I can think of sending one at this point is if it's been a few weeks and you want to follow up about the possibility of getting a callback interview - you can thank them for squeezing you in and ask about their decision timeline, and reiterate your interest in the firm.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:33 pm

I seriously wouldn't unless you haven something incredibly substantive to say. I actually like to get thank-you emails (I'm not in private practice though), but you do risk sending something in with a typo to write something generic. And as it was pointed out before, it's not like it affects your profess.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:35 pm

Overall consensus on TLS is that "thank you" emails are discouraged. That being said, I've always sent "thank you" emails following up with every OCI interview (and now lateral interviews). I use them to guage whether or not I think I'm getting a callback. Every time I've gotten a response, I've gotten a callback (at a later date, of course) and every time I've had crickets, I either got dinged or never heard back again.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:55 pm

Yeah, even immediately post-interview the consensus is that there's much more risk than it's worth (particularly for more generic OCI type interviewing), and at this point it's been too long.

Return to “Legal Employment�