Clerking on Opposite Coast of USAO target

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Clerking on Opposite Coast of USAO target

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:48 pm

Hi All,

I'm clerking on a district on the opposite coast of the USAO I'd like to eventually target. (The relevant districts are EDNY/SDNY/NDCA/CDCA). How much of a handicap will that be down the road since I assume my judge won't really be able to push me? My credentials should be at least as strong as the average candidate that gets hired by those USAOs, but I'm a bit concerned that not having the clerkship "in" will hurt. (I do have externship experience in the USAO I'd like to be in).

(If it's relevant, my circuit clerkship is in an unrelated circuit- one of 1/3/4).

Thanks for any thoughts.

Shaggier1

Silver

Re: Clerking on Opposite Coast of USAO target

Postby Shaggier1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:05 pm

Meh, I wouldn't worry. You're likely going to need to practice for a few years anyway. And you can get in through partners at your firm as well.

People get to the USAO other than through their judges, is my point.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:22 pm

Honestly, while I do know AUSAs who clerked in the districts/circuits where they're working, I'm pretty sure I know more who didn't. (But I also know way more former DCt clerks than I do COA.)

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:17 pm

That's good to hear. Any idea if it will hurt at all if applying for the 1-2 spots some of these districts do for DOJ honors periodically?

Return to “Legal Employment�