Help! Aggressive Christian at my new job

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Help! Aggressive Christian at my new job

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:18 am

I'll be starting a new job on March 1st. Its more of an in house position.

So, I go into the office today to discuss the details with the manager, and get introduced to the office.

Most of the employees practice the same religion and they all go to the same church. This is fine by me because someones religious denomination doesn't much impact me. But everyone is really cool and very sweet.

Except this one guy. Lets call him Dick. The first time I went in to interview Dick made the sort of "joke" that let me immediately know he was a Trump supporter. It wasn't that I was offended, it was just weird, because we didn't even know each other, and I live in a very, very, very blue state. Most people wait a few minutes before wading into those waters. And the joke wasn't even funny.

Today, Dick had to set up some computer thing so I could watch a video, and the subject of his mail order bride came up. He mentioned that he was moving to the Phillipines because America is so terrible (even though, I'm sure he thinks it will be great again). And then made a comment about how terrible Obamacare is.

So, its lunch time, and out of the clear blue sky Dick is like "so, what are your thoughts on human creation?" And I was so surprised by the question I said something about evolution planned by god. And Dick launches right into how I'm wrong, and he can explain it to me on Saturday at church. I kind of "oh, I see" to him, which you would think he would take as a hint that I'm not interested in whatever weirdness he has going on. And then, out of NOWHERE, he gives me a Bible! A full on Bible...in its original packaging! Like what the huh? And tells me that he can explain it to me and help me interpret it when I come to church on Saturday, and he'll give me the address, and I'll be in his bible study group. At this point, I must have said something about how I wouldn't be able to make it. And then he is like "well that doesn't matter, even if you don't go you'll be in my group anyways" as in saying that he would like try to counsel me or something?

He then proceeded to watch me to make sure I took the Bible with me.

I don't want any workplace drama at a new job, but this guy seems like a habitual line stepper, and I think at some point I'm going to say something mean. I would take him aside and just tell him I'm not interested, but I don't want him whining to my boss about it.

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Help! Aggressive Christian at my new job

Postby rpupkin » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:58 am

Retake

Civilservant

New

Postby Civilservant » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:08 am

Cool story, Bible bro.

Abbie Doobie

Silver

Postby Abbie Doobie » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:11 am

rpupkin wrote:Retake

Npret

Silver

Postby Npret » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:13 am

Church on Saturday? Adventist?

BasilHallward

Silver

Postby BasilHallward » Thu Feb 16, 2017 9:16 am

rpupkin wrote:Retake

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 10:31 am

Maybe you should post the joke so we can see for ourselves.

Didn't know bibles came in 'original packaging,' though, so I guess I learned something here.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:27 pm

Npret wrote:Church on Saturday? Adventist?

I'm too scared to ask.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:32 pm

mjb447 wrote:Maybe you should post the joke so we can see for ourselves.

Didn't know bibles came in 'original packaging,' though, so I guess I learned something here.

Prior to this, I didn't either. But this one came in like a box of some sort, almost like it was being sold at Costco. I'll see if I can post a picture of it.

pml87

New

Postby pml87 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 4:17 pm

Please do elaborate on his mail order bride business.

Genius

Silver

Postby Genius » Thu Feb 16, 2017 5:48 pm

Pics of said mail order bride or it didnt happen.

U know the drill.

LaLiLuLeLo

Silver

Postby LaLiLuLeLo » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:05 pm

Genius wrote:Pics of said mail order bride or it didnt happen.

U know the drill.

Her name is probably Melania or something.

zot1

Gold

Postby zot1 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:38 pm

You gotta fit in with the gorillas.

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:44 pm

You should have dropped the Bible when he handed it to you and acted like it burnt your hands. :lol:

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Postby Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:28 pm

[+] Spoiler
I wouldn't lump Saturday churchgoers in with 'normal' Christians. The normal mainstream denominations pretty much all attend on Sunday. You get weirdos with Saturday

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:45 am

lawman84 wrote:You should have dropped the Bible when he handed it to you and acted like it burnt your hands. :lol:

LOL. There was a part of me that was dying to do something like that, but he probably would have drowned me in the restroom for being a witch.

But I needn't worry, he claims to have a "very scientific" explanation as to why everything in the bible is right.

He made sure to comment today to the effect of "don't worry, she will come around."

Oh well, at least my office is on a different floor and has a door. Though these seems like small obstacles for someone as....committed as he is.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:48 am

mrgstephe wrote:
[+] Spoiler
I wouldn't lump Saturday churchgoers in with 'normal' Christians. The normal mainstream denominations pretty much all attend on Sunday. You get weirdos with Saturday

Agreed, and I don't want to join a cult.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
[+] Spoiler

Saturday churchgoer here (though I don't really attend church anymore). Just wanted to pop in to say that Adventists are fairly normal folks. That's jsut your xenophobia showing.

oil

New

Postby oil » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
[+] Spoiler

Saturday churchgoer here (though I don't really attend church anymore). Just wanted to pop in to say that Adventists are fairly normal folks. That's jsut your xenophobia showing.

Nah

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:40 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
mrgstephe wrote:
[+] Spoiler

Its not just Adventists who have saturday church. There are plenty of "Christian" churches that have Saturday service. And a few other religions.

If you have an older and more established denomination you likely have a long, long history of having service on Sundays, because thats what was in the bible and everyone only got one day off of working in the fields or whatever.

I am sorry if I gave the impression that Adventists are weird. I don't think they are, but I'm scared to ask Dick because I know he is not adventist, and I'm fairly certain that any inquires will be interpreted as an active interest discussing religion/politics with him.

I'm pretty sure people who are this pushy about conversion are weird christian sects...or cults.*

* -- excluding JW's and Mormons

Return to “Legal Employment?