Do applicants get rejected for...

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Do applicants get rejected for...

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:04 am

Thanks for replies - DELETE
Last edited by Anonymous User on Tue Mar 07, 2017 2:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Do applicants get rejected for...

Postby trebekismyhero » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:16 pm

Are you talking about big law? If so, I don't see how it would be treated any worse than a DUI and I know several ppl that had DUIs prior to getting offers and it did not matter.

Gov't would probably be a different story.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:55 pm

I know a DA with multiple felony charges. TLS doesn't have a great handle on how badly you have to fuck up to not get a job as a lawyer

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Feb 16, 2017 1:38 pm

Yeah I'm mostly talking about biglaw and medium sized firms in Florida. I have an interview coming up and I'm nervous if I get an offer it might be rescinded after a background check

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:03 am

Anyone else got any experiences to offer? Losing more and more sleep over this, maybe I'm just paranoid?

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:43 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else got any experiences to offer? Losing more and more sleep over this, maybe I'm just paranoid?

It's just too easy . . .

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:13 am

Let's assume that there's a nonzero chance that this is going to affect your chances. Is there anything you can do about it?

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Mon Mar 06, 2017 9:07 am

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone else got any experiences to offer? Losing more and more sleep over this, maybe I'm just paranoid?

Smoke some pot before you go to bed. Seriously. And echoing mjb, nothing you can possibly do now. The worst thing you can do is let the paranoia impact your interviews.

blueapple

Silver

Postby blueapple » Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:00 pm

rpupkin wrote:

It's just too easy . . .

:lol:
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Mon Mar 06, 2017 11:26 pm

mjb447 wrote:Let's assume that there's a nonzero chance that this is going to affect your chances. Is there anything you can do about it?

I understand theres nothing I can do about it now - I just want to know if after I get an offer I should be continuously applying for other firms just incase I have some offers rescinded because of this.

t-14orbust

Gold

Postby t-14orbust » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:54 am

Just imagine how much fun it's going to be filling out c&f for the bar

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 12:56 am

t-14orbust wrote:Just imagine how much fun it's going to be filling out c&f for the bar

lol @ the notion of a state allowing a convicted pothead to practice law.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:22 am

rpupkin wrote:
t-14orbust wrote:Just imagine how much fun it's going to be filling out c&f for the bar

1. Not formally convicted, 2. already filled out my bar application. Why be assholes guys, this is a fairly common charge, no?

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

1. Not formally convicted, 2. already filled out my bar application. Why be assholes guys, this is a fairly common charge, no?

Dude. You got some reassuring responses in response to your initial post, but you insisted on continuing your freakout. You're the one who apparently wants to stress out over this. We're just giving you what you want.

Seriously, what do you want us to say? We don't know the midlaw offices in Florida you're applying to; and, even if you told us the names of the firms, we almost surely wouldn't know anything about their hiring policies. As you accurately recognize, your charge is "fairly common"; I seriously doubt it will be an issue for you. But I suppose there's always a chance that a firm will have some idiosyncratic drug-charge policy that results in a refusal to extend you an offer. No amount of posting here will eliminate that (slim) chance. Just chill out.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
mjb447 wrote:Let's assume that there's a nonzero chance that this is going to affect your chances. Is there anything you can do about it?

I understand theres nothing I can do about it now - I just want to know if after I get an offer I should be continuously applying for other firms just incase I have some offers rescinded because of this.

Yeah, as a few people already told you, this probably isn't something you need to worry about, but general TLS knowledge isn't going to protect you from some random anti-drug policy or some lawyer on the hiring committee whose son tragically overdosed on the marijuana. Best thing you can do is stop worrying about it because, like I said, there's really nothing you can do about that kind of random bad luck. (And, like RaceJudicata said, if you're losing sleep over this it might affect you negatively while you're interviewing, which is probably the way this is most likely to hurt you.)

Return to “Legal Employment�