Exit options for Corporate associate in DC?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Exit options for Corporate associate in DC?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Feb 15, 2017 7:34 pm

I'm a third year corporate associate (m&a and tech trans) in a major market thinking about lateralling to DC. My ultimate goal is to go in house as soon as possible. Does anyone know if it's easy to go in house in DC without any regulatory experience? Which firms have strong corporate practice in the area?

Anonymous User

Re: Exit options for Corporate associate in DC?

Postby Anonymous User » Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm a third year corporate associate (m&a and tech trans) in a major market thinking about lateralling to DC. My ultimate goal is to go in house as soon as possible. Does anyone know if it's easy to go in house in DC without any regulatory experience? Which firms have strong corporate practice in the area?

Bumping this. Also interested.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:40 am

Also curious!

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:45 am

Latham & Watkins has a strong M&A practice in DC but is light on tech trans. Don't know about any other firms with big M&A there.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:03 pm

I think there are plenty of good corporate practices in DC (e.g., Hogan, Covington, Fried Frank, Gibson, Latham, Kirkland, Skadden, etc.). That being said, I don't think that there are tons of in-house counsel jobs in the DC area that focus on corporate/transactional work. I'd recommend looking at job boards (e.g., indeed, goinhouse.com) to get a feel for what types of in-house counsel jobs there are in the DC area. There are jobs that will come up, but many of them relate to government contracting or some other regulatory area.

With respect to moving into government jobs (there's a bunch of these), most of that is litigation and then there's a bunch of regulatory related jobs. With respect to corporate-related government jobs, I suppose there's the SEC, CFTC and FINRA if you're doing securities/commodities type work.

Return to “Legal Employment�