Will Visiting a Lower Ranked School Affect BigLaw Offer After SA?

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Will Visiting a Lower Ranked School Affect BigLaw Offer After SA?

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:34 pm

Background:
-I have a BigLaw SA in a large secondary market.
-I attend a lower T14.
-For personal reasons, I'm applying to visit the highest ranked law school (20-40) in said secondary market.
-The firm recruits heavily from the school I'm applying to visit.

Questions:
-Will spending a semester at the lower ranked school negatively impact my chance at an offer from the firm?
-Should I clear visiting with the firm's HR? If so, do I provide my specifics or ask anonymously(ish).

P.S.
-I know I'm probably being a paranoid law student!

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Will Visiting a Lower Ranked School Affect BigLaw Offer After SA?

Postby rpupkin » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:-Will spending a semester at the lower ranked school negatively impact my chance at an offer from the firm?

No. This is a total non-issue.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:40 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:-Will spending a semester at the lower ranked school negatively impact my chance at an offer from the firm?

OP here. Thank you for the reply. I value your input and this eases my, slight, trepidation!

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Postby foregetaboutdre » Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Background:
-I have a BigLaw SA in a large secondary market.
-I attend a lower T14.
-For personal reasons, I'm applying to visit the highest ranked law school (20-40) in said secondary market.
-The firm recruits heavily from the school I'm applying to visit.

Questions:
-Will spending a semester at the lower ranked school negatively impact my chance at an offer from the firm?
-Should I clear visiting with the firm's HR? If so, do I provide my specifics or ask anonymously(ish).

P.S.
-I know I'm probably being a paranoid law student!

Thanks in advance for the feedback!

I don't think it would matter. I'd consider telling them that you're visiting though (and not anonymously) - it might lead to some lunches/extra work around the office if you have time. I think they'd view it as a positive tbh. If they do give off a *weird* vibe then it would be a cause for concern. But to think that the recruiting committee/members of a firm will even KNOW that you're visiting is a really low probability.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Tue Feb 14, 2017 4:45 pm

foregetaboutdre wrote:I don't think it would matter. I'd consider telling them that you're visiting though (and not anonymously) - it might lead to some lunches/extra work around the office if you have time.

Huh?

clerk1251

Bronze

Postby clerk1251 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:43 pm

rpupkin wrote:

This.

I don't see how it would be an issue, and I don't see any reason to even disclose it. It really is a non-issue. You've got your reasons to do a semester at whatever school it is, and your degree will still be from your primary school. It's not like this will be something you put on your resume, just don't worry about it.

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 5:55 pm

Co-signing "it won't matter" and "not necessary to disclose."

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Tue Feb 14, 2017 6:41 pm

rpupkin wrote:
foregetaboutdre wrote:I don't think it would matter. I'd consider telling them that you're visiting though (and not anonymously) - it might lead to some lunches/extra work around the office if you have time.

Huh?

I think he means while he is visiting for the semester he will have opportunities to a) have lunch/interact with the firm's secondary market office or b) clerk on the side at said office.

The former isn't that farfetched.

RaceJudicata

Gold

Postby RaceJudicata » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:25 pm

1styearlateral wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Huh?

I think he means while he is visiting for the semester he will have opportunities to a) have lunch/interact with the firm's secondary market office or b) clerk on the side at said office.

Ya defiinitely don't try and grab lunch with a firm during the semester just because you feel like catching up with lawyers you may work with in the future. Summer associate programs are budgeted schticks -- the lunches are a recruiting tool. No one wants to have lunch with you while you are in school and not a Summer associate.

Sure, some firms allow past summers to clerk, but usually they'll ask.

JustMe83

New

Postby JustMe83 » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:31 pm

I hear S&C will revoke your offer for just setting foot on the CUNY campus

zhenders

Silver

Postby zhenders » Tue Feb 14, 2017 9:52 pm

On second thought, let's not hang out in this thread. 'Tis a silly place.

Wacked Wombat

New

Postby Wacked Wombat » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:13 pm

RaceJudicata wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Huh?

Ya defiinitely don't try and grab lunch with a firm during the semester just because you feel like catching up with lawyers you may work with in the future. Summer associate programs are budgeted schticks -- the lunches are a recruiting tool. No one wants to have lunch with you while you are in school and not a Summer associate.

Idk, 3L friend says she gets emails from her firm letting previous SAs in the area know that certain events are going on they are invited to. I assume that's what dre means by "lunches".

Pokemon

Gold

Postby Pokemon » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:14 pm

It will be a stain but only the v5 will care.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:22 pm

Wacked Wombat wrote:
RaceJudicata wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Huh?

Idk, 3L friend says she gets emails from her firm letting previous SAs in the area know that certain events are going on they are invited to. I assume that's what dre means by "lunches".

No. Public firm events are not the same as lunches with individual attorneys.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Postby foregetaboutdre » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:38 pm

lol I didn't mean to start a debate. In my secondary market, I've been asked to go to lunch if I was in town for some reason (by individual attorneys). Also, in my secondary market it is not unheard of for the summers from the local state school to clerk during the school year (although after reading OP it looks like he is an incoming SA).

I also want to say my original post said it MIGHT lead to this. I understand every market and firm is different and I am just sharing my experience FWIW. I would not recommend hitting up partners for lunch every week etc...
Last edited by foregetaboutdre on Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rpupkin

Platinum

Postby rpupkin » Tue Feb 14, 2017 10:45 pm

foregetaboutdre wrote:lol I didn't mean to start a debate. In my secondary market, I've been asked to go to lunch if I was in town for some reason.

I agree that it's not unusual for an office to encourage its former summer associates to stay in touch during their 3L year. And having an occasional lunch with an attorney is one way to stay in touch. (To be clear, I responded initially with a "huh?" because I genuinely did not understand what you were talking about.)

lavarman84

Platinum

Postby lavarman84 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:14 am

JustMe83 wrote:I hear S&C will revoke your offer for just setting foot on the CUNY campus

I lol'd. I thought you could keep the offer as long as you chopped off the foot that stepped on the CUNY campus?

mjb447

Silver

Postby mjb447 » Wed Feb 15, 2017 12:44 am

lawman84 wrote:
JustMe83 wrote:I hear S&C will revoke your offer for just setting foot on the CUNY campus

I lol'd. I thought you could keep the offer as long as you chopped off the foot that stepped on the CUNY campus?

A chemical shower might do it, if you can stay in long enough to get that plebeian stink off.

1styearlateral

Silver

Postby 1styearlateral » Wed Feb 15, 2017 10:43 am

RaceJudicata wrote:
1styearlateral wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

Huh?

Yeah, I guess it only really makes sense after you've already spent a summer there and built some relationships.

Anonymous User

Postby Anonymous User » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:50 am

RaceJudicata wrote:Ya defiinitely don't try and grab lunch with a firm during the semester just because you feel like catching up with lawyers you may work with in the future. Summer associate programs are budgeted schticks -- the lunches are a recruiting tool. No one wants to have lunch with you while you are in school and not a Summer associate.

I don't agree with this. My SA firm encouraged the incoming summer class to contact attorneys at the firm and invite them to lunch if they were in town. I go to school in the same city and had lunch a couple of times with junior associates during my 2L year (could've had a lot more lunches, but figured I would be more likely to screw something up with my upcoming SA). The attorneys loved it because that was an extra lunch they got to expense. Both associates and partners reiterated this at the end of the summer event to get in touch for lunch if we're around during our 3L year as well.

Return to “Legal Employment�